Honored Contributor

Re: I've Been Using Monistat Chafing Gel For a Primer

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@SilleeMee  Have you tried the matte version? I have oily skin and am curious if it's as good as the original? thanks

eta: I'm referring to the primer you were talking about

@BrandiDavis 

No, I have not tried the e.l.f. matte Putty. I don't have oily skin but I would like to try it anyway because sometimes my skin looks shiny, usually the day after I exfoliate. I was thinking that primer might help take down the shine a bit. Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@SilleeMee  Have you tried the matte version? I have oily skin and am curious if it's as good as the original? thanks

eta: I'm referring to the primer you were talking about

@BrandiDavis 

No, I have not tried the e.l.f. matte Putty. I don't have oily skin but I would like to try it anyway because sometimes my skin looks shiny, usually the day after I exfoliate. I was thinking that primer might help take down the shine a bit. Woman Happy

@SilleeMee  Oh ok sounds good, I may have to try it and if I do I'll let you know what I think. I did want to ask you if you don't mind. What do you use to exfoliate? I am new to starting to "try" and take care of my skin. I will be 40 in May and it's hit me :-( I am looking older and I have acne prone skin as well. It's definitely an oil slick in the summer, but in the winter it's more of a combo, like my eyebrows get really dry and around my nose does too. Weird. Thanks again for helping me. I appreciate it. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis 

I'm almost 65. I use Retin-A, a (10% AHA) glycolic acid lotion and occasionally (2% BHA) salicylic acid treatment pads. Both BHAs and AHAs exfoliate. BHA's are good for keeping pores clean but it can be drying so in my case I like to use that less frequently...oily skin can tolerate BHAs better than dry skin. I use BHA during the daytime. Every other night, when off the Retin-A, I use the glycolic lotion. Glycolic acid is good for surface exfoliation and not really a good pore cleaner. The next day I use a muslin cloth to gently remove dry skin when...I use the muslin cloth with water and no cleanser. Then apply my vitamin C serum.

In short, I use a combination of both chemical and light physical exfoliation. That seems to work best for me.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Rarely do I use my expensive primers.  99% of the time, I grab my Monestat anti-chafing gel.  It just works for me.  And it's a bargain.  I want to try the ELF primer putty.

Honored Contributor

Been there done that. I don't use a primer. I see no difference with or without it. I hate to wear makeup anyways. It makes my eyes red, itchy, watery etc.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I did use the Monistat for a primer when it was stated that the ingredients in Monistat were about identical to a popular primer by a big cosmetic company.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to try the ELF Poreless Putty Primer.  

Honored Contributor

Every time this topic comes up, it always astonishes me the amt of people that think we're using Monistat Yeast medication on our faces Smiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

"Monesta" as the women dubbed had a huge cult following about 15 years ago

@I am still oxox I remember those days!  It was the heyday of this board and I think of it fondly.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

"It was the heyday of this board"

Yes, it was!