Honored Contributor

As I mentioned previously - I stopped bleaching my hair last summer and had it cut in a pixie cut.to get rid of the treated hair.  Pixie looked good and I intended to keep it.  Then came the virus.

My hair tends to be wavy and now that the brown/gray/white is growing longer - it was looking prety good.  Just a bit shaggy around the face.  

I trimmed about 1/4" from around my face - just evened out the bangs - and it looks fantastic.  If it keeps growing out this well - I may not go back to the pixie.

When salon reopens - I'll just have it shaped.

Respected Contributor

I did my own cut twice now. Once before the pandemic and once during.  Both times it came out great.  I have a shoulder length bob with no bangs so it's pretty straighforward.  Looks like I had it done in the salon.  Don't know if I'll pay for a haircut again. They are so expensive by me, at least $80 or more.

Respected Contributor

Glad you had good results. We are all finding new and different ways to cope. Along the way we might even find good results with something we have never imagined. I have been getting manicures pretty much every week for my whole adult life. Well, needless to say no manicures since the beginning of March. My nails look better than ever. They look healthier, and are not peeling. Who knew?

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA Your description sounds like you're going forward into a long shag.  They were always SO chic!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  I have been hacking at my hair but what I have trouble with is the back...got any tips since you are loving your cuts.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Grouchomarx  I have been hacking at my hair but what I have trouble with is the back...got any tips since you are loving your cuts.

The back is the hardest!  It does present a challenge.  The method I use is to part the hair down the middle and make two ponytails with it,  except I use small hair clips instead of elastics which are more difficult for me to work with.  I cut the end of the ponytails and keep working at it until both sides are even.  The back is always longer after this.  I comb the hair straight up over my head and trim straight across it to take away the V effect since I want it all the same all around. This takes severl go rounds with using a hand mirror to see how I'm doing.  I'd say a good 5-6 rounds of this and working on the uneven spots and it's finally done.  A little stressful but I just snip small amounts rather than hacking a lot off.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@dex wrote:

The back is the hardest!  It does present a challenge.  The method I use is to part the hair down the middle and make two ponytails with it,  except I use small hair clips instead of elastics which are more difficult for me to work with.  I cut the end of the ponytails and keep working at it until both sides are even.  The back is always longer after this.  I comb the hair straight up over my head and trim straight across it to take away the V effect since I want it all the same all around. This takes severl go rounds with using a hand mirror to see how I'm doing.  I'd say a good 5-6 rounds of this and working on the uneven spots and it's finally done.  A little stressful but I just snip small amounts rather than hacking a lot off.

Thanks ..I will try that.Right now the back of my hair is much shorter than the front.Do you think I should worry I might cut too much off front with ponytails?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I was looking at some pics my late husband took of me in the 60s ... I had a long shag - and blonde hair.  I'll have to see how it looks ??? years later with brown/gray/white hair.  

Esteemed Contributor

i wear my hair short...with layers....right now i would need a weed wacker to cut it!!

Valued Contributor

I think it's great that you trimmed your  own hair! Mine is a mess, lol! It's become thinner over the past year, so I often wear wigs in public. Right now I'm looking forward to having my sister give me a good trim and color. Fingers crossed that we'll be opening up a bit here soon. Kudos to you!