Honored Contributor

Re: I took the plunge and stopped coloring & highlighting my hair BUT

[ Edited ]

@Kalli wrote:

I just decided to stop coloring my hair to see just how much gray I have.  Hairdresser says it's not completely gray yet.  I don't want the Cruella De Vil look.  I want it to be all gray but not a fan of salt and pepper.

My sis went gray and hers looks great but she's got a silver color with almost no pepper.

Anyway, it's only been 2 months.  Hairdresser says my hair is healthier.  We'll see if I stick to it. I've seen many ladies with silver hair that's absolutely beautiful. If mine is like that, I'll stay gray.

I'd LOVE ANY "look" rather than the one I have had for the last 75 or so years, but my hairdresser refuses to color my hair for ANY PRICE and she does the best job of cutting and covering my male pattern baldness patch of anyone who's ever cut it.

The Blessing of being devoid of my family's epic female  vanity.

Respected Contributor

First of all let me say that whatever makes you happy and comfortable is what you should do.  There are no rules about when you should stop coloring your hair.  I live in an active senior community and most have gone natural.  I was going to do that during the worst of the pandemic but it did not take me long to figure out that it would not be an even gray color.  It used to be a joke in the community when someone asked if you knew Susie Jones you responded with what does she look like?  The joke was she is about 5 feet 4 inches with short gray hair.  In other words we all look alike after a certain age.  I have a friend that I don't love the color she dyes her hair but it makes her look like she has not given up and still has some spice even though she is close to 80.  I don't know when I will stop coloring my hair but not there yet.  I have always done it at home so the expense or time is not a problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm I feel lucky that in my small hole-in-the-wall town, there is a fab colorist who makes my dreams come true! 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield