Honored Contributor

Re: I took the plunge and stopped coloring & highlighting my hair BUT

[ Edited ]

I've never colored my hair on a regular basis.  I've gotten highlights for my dark brown hair so that it frames my face giving it a bit of a lift.  I last had it done in March and will be due for another set of highlights soon.  You can see there is a 4-5" of growth but my roots are still dark brown. 

So I don't undertand what people mean when they say that you can dye your hair but you face will give you away.  I'm 67 and look it....I have a few wrinkles but more saggy skin (which I hate, BTW), I need to lose about 30 lbs.  None of that is attractive but I still have no gray.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Sooner 

SIMPLE!  I love simple!  It seems like "not normal" is normal now and I don't like it.  My 83 year old mother just asked me to go with her to pick out burial plots and funeral arrangements.  My dad has pretty bad dementia and can't do any of the things he used to take care of.  I don't foresee "simple" for the rest of our lives.  Simple was when we thought we were indestructible.

@monicakm Oh monicakm, that is where I am.  In the last 25 years we have buried so many people, picked out grave spots, had 20 years of visiting our closest in the nursing homes, dementia, altzheimers, covid, retirement, moving, struggling to get people benefits they earned, and on and on.

All I want now it simple, and I'm literally worn out.  That's what I'm talking about.  And no it isn't over yet, and I'm about there myself I think sometimes.  I am an only child and niece to folks that lived way past 95.  And I was born to very much older parent. 

Bless you and all going through not simple.  

Honored Contributor

@Emma Bunting 

"You can dye your hair but you can't dye your face".

I've never heard that saying

Honored Contributor

@Jacie 

I hope I'm lucky enough to find someone in my rural area that can really make my gray hair come alive (when the time comes).  I love Nikol Johnson's gray  hair (and her sunglasses lol)

sunglasses.JPG

nikol.jpg

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 

My mother is 83 and still has her hair bleached but now she isn't feeling well enough to do it and gray is coming thru.  I don't know what her plans are but I wish she would let it go gray.  

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart.  Life has definitely not been "simple" for you the last two decades Smiley Sad  Our daughter is an only child too.  She lives in the same town as her grandparents and has been a big help to them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've only done something to my hair maybe 3 or 4 times in the past several years.  I felt I wanted a little change and did a bayalage a couple of months back.  I'm done!  My hair is just too fragile to accept any kind of coloring.  I don't need to do it anyhow, so in order to save my hair (this really ruined it!) I'm just not doing it anymore.  It wasn't worth it.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Kalli 

It would depend on the friend and relationship and how she was told.  That's a tricky conversation Smiley Surprised  I "hearted" both yes and no lol

@monicakm I have a feeling we’d be good friends IRL! I feel the same way. Yes and no! But I know that my very best friends, (and I only have a few whom I consider to be in this category) could be politely honest with me without repercussions.  I’d want them to give me a hug and THEN tell me the truth gently. 😆😆😆 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I died my hair for fun since the age of 14.  No kidding.  I wanted to be a beautician.  Became a teacher instead, got married and the kids in my class used to look through the  door windows to see what color Ms. Polly had THAT DAY. And then it happened my hair became color resistant... no idea why until I looked carefully.  My hair was turning gray-white.  I  then went to a hair dresser and they said Ithey would continue to dye my hair for me. Well, one fine day I got vertigo (positional) and could not tip my head backwards.  I JUST LET IT GO.  And best thing I ever did, well amost. LOL.  My hair is shiny silvery white.  All kinds of compliments. My hair is also naturally wavy and or curly.  I just wash  and put on foam and hairspray and go.  I don't even dry.  My best feature.  And yes I am  old by age numbers but as young as I want  to be.  Dancing is my hobby... square dancing in particular.  

I love this story 🥰

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom is 92. She still drives and gets her hair done every week. While all her children have some grey showing, mine due to Covid, my sister has always let her natural grey come through and my brother is totally shiny silvery white(he looks like Santa Claus)we have never seen mom with grey hair! She looks great! She's also in better shape than all of us. We all have very bad arthritis. My brother just had a total shoulder replacement. I need a partial and full knee replacement in the near future and so does my sister. My mom, on the other hand, just started having problems with arthritic knees this past year. Her only other medical problem is high cholesterol, which she's  had for many years

Go figure!😳

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran