Honored Contributor

I took the plunge and stopped coloring & highlighting my hair BUT

pictures don't lie.  Attended a family function and I take god awful pictures to start with but yikes seeing them was shocking ...🤦‍♀️
I looked "old"...I'm not vain but this really shocked me.

I called my stylist and said "that phase is over" I'm going back to coloring & highlighting.

Next, called my esthetician and made my appts.

I've put me on the back burner the last 18 months being a caregiver -- made the decision it's time again for ME!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I took the plunge and stopped coloring & highlighting my hair BUT

During Covid quarantine, when we couldn't go to the salon, my best friend and I made two opposite decisions from two opposite coasts. She stopped coloring her hair and I continued coloring mine at home. We live a continent apart but we're in daily communication. She sent me a recent photo and asked what I thought. OMG, what could I say? I couldn't hurt her feelings so I told her a 'fiblet' and said she looked very nice. I hope God will forgive me but I could not tell her the natural look provided her look with about 15 more years..

Honored Contributor

@Vivian 

Please know you did the best for your friend because honestly I always have a great tan & many thought my hair looked great "blonde".

I didn't color for over 18 months just some highlighting...ugh...I "thought" it looked great too😉

And not to mention the "extra 20 lbs" needing to be addressed next🙄.

Respected Contributor

I've been coloring my hair since I was 16.  I'm now 73.  I don't EVER leave the house without makeup.  I must say I see women my age (or even younger) who look 15 years OLDER because they wear no makeup and their hair is gray.  I just don't wanna look like that.  As long as I'm able, I'll be coloring my hair and wearing makeup!  Woman Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Vivian There's nothing wrong with a little white lie to spare someone's feelings. Not at all. Maybe she knows she looks older and wanted some reassurance. You did what  a friend would do.

Respected Contributor

I just decided to stop coloring my hair to see just how much gray I have.  Hairdresser says it's not completely gray yet.  I don't want the Cruella De Vil look.  I want it to be all gray but not a fan of salt and pepper.

My sis went gray and hers looks great but she's got a silver color with almost no pepper.

Anyway, it's only been 2 months.  Hairdresser says my hair is healthier.  We'll see if I stick to it. I've seen many ladies with silver hair that's absolutely beautiful. If mine is like that, I'll stay gray.

Honored Contributor

@spent2much 

Love your attitude ...I need to get ME back...I never was like this in fact, I haven't worn make-up in awhile just a little blush...

I'm probably having a "good mid-life" crisis😉😉😉

Honored Contributor

This discussion makes me realize how far my hair and looks in general have gone down on the scale of what is important to me.  I am old.  Nothing is going to make me look young, nothing 10 or 15 years younger. 

Better maybe. . . but it's not worth what I had been spending on hair and clothes, not in time, money or effort now.  We have been through so much that all I want is for life to be a little simpler.  

Respected Contributor

Good for you! I gave up coloring my own hair at home and now it's a treat to have it done by the pros! And frankly, I spent too much time doing it myself, it was a pain! I've decided that I am deserving of a "hair day"!!!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Vivian I think it's fine if you tell her the truth.  Maybe she's already doubting her decision.