Respected Contributor

Re: I threw out what WEN I had in my Cupboards

@Puppy Lips Sometimes I just rinse my hair and then put Wen in as a leave-in.  I have curly hair that gets deformed and needs to be rinsed so it can regain its shape.  I also have just a regular cheap shampoo that I use maybe once every week or two.  

I agree that Wen is the best detangler.  If you rinse your hair or shampoo it with something else, you could put a couple of pumps into wet hair as a leave-n and then comb it.  I always do that.

Honored Contributor

No. I've been using it for 6 years with no issues and see no reason to throw it out. My hair has never looked or felt better.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I had bought quite a bit of WEN a bit ago.... with all the hair loss hype I became afraid to use it anymore. I had several bottles of CC and the spray mist and foam volumizer. I threw them all away.  I do not want to even chance blocking my hair folicles or chance my hair falling out at this point in my life.  Has anyone else decided to stop using WEN with the lawsuit isssue going on?

@SeaMaiden

I've used Wen for several years and rinse well ... no "blocked follicles" here.     

If any of the Wen was unopened, you should have sold it on Ebay ... JMO.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden,

Yes, I understand. I used to use Ojon poo and I noticed more hair in the drain with it. Also Carol's Daughter Monoi poo...same thing! Both of these poos never got my scalp feeling clean...no wonder.Woman Frustrated

I think the Carol's Daughter Monoi was one of the worst shampoos I've every used.  Hair was like straw even after conditioner.  I don't use Wen but if I did and there were no problems, I'd probably continue if I liked it rather than throw it out.

Trusted Contributor

If you have residue, waxy feeling, oily looking, white coating or "dirty feeling" scalp....you are NOT using enough of either Wen or WATER!!  You are NOT cleansing your scalp but either lightly rubbing it or ignoring it all together.

If you are used to stripping chemicals of shampoo, you have to learn to actually cleanse. Have you ever noticed how the shampoo girl/guy at the salon actually gets in and rubs your scalp WITH LOTS OF WATER. It feels like a relaxing head massage...thats cleansing!

So no, it doesnt leave a buildup... ineffective cleansing does!

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quse wrote:

I stopped using it on my hair when I noticed that it builds up and makes my scalp feel dirty. I noticed hair loss so I started experimenting to see if the Wen was causing it. I also went to t he doctor to see if it could be hormonal changes. There was some hormonal issues (peri-menopause) that have been corrected with meds. 
I went several months without using Wen at all, no noticable hair loss..then decided to try using it again only as a conditioner after shampooing. I've noticed consistently that when I do this, there is more hair in the drain than when I don't use Wen at all. I don't dye or blow dry my hair anymore, so technically it's all "virgin" hair now and this only seems to happen when I use the Wen.
I don't know if it causes hair loss, but I personally just don't like the build up that it leaves on my hair. I decided that I'll use it as a body conditioner until I run out of it. If it makes body hair fall out, at least I don't have to epilate...lol
I do love the smell of the Lavender one and broke down to buy another bottle for a body conditioner. I noticed recently that it irritates my skin slightly and makes me itch after using it. Since I'm a pretty methodical and "don't jump to conclusions" type, I'm still experimenting with it, as it also happens to be allergy season. 
We'll see how it goes in the winter as a body conditioner, but I don't use it anymore on my hair. I also decided to use the treatment sprays like the "Poo pourri" sprays, rather than throwing them out.
As for the styling creams and hair masques...sadly, they went in the trash.

If using it on your skin makes you itch, you might be having an allergic reaction to one of the natural extracts. I would check with my doctor for allergy testing. Hope you get it figured out! Heart

#IAmTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I had bought quite a bit of WEN a bit ago.... with all the hair loss hype I became afraid to use it anymore. I had several bottles of CC and the spray mist and foam volumizer. I threw them all away.  I do not want to even chance blocking my hair folicles or chance my hair falling out at this point in my life.  Has anyone else decided to stop using WEN with the lawsuit isssue going on?

@SeaMaiden, why would you throw it out if it was working for you hun? Some people have allergies and some people are just plain money hungry. If you werent experiencing any reaction, that was like throwing out and never eating peanuts (or certain foods) again because some people are allergic.

I've used it for 9 years with no issues and I would never use anything else. I am sorry for those that are allergic but I have no food or plant allergies. I am however allergic to penicillin... does that mean everyone should stop taking it? If it doesnt bother you, keep going.. if you choose.

If you are really worried, all Wen products have the ingredients listed (single shipment), scan through for any allergens. Hope that helps! Heart

#IAmTeamWen
Frequent Contributor

Was it working well for your hair? If it was, don't be afraid of it. If used properly, it does not clog hair follicles or pores. I've used it exclusively since 09' and have never had issues with my scalp or hair loss of any kind. I admit it is expensve but essential oils are expensive on their own, so I understand the price. I even use the tea tree cleanser and mist on my 2 dogs to keep them soft and keep fleas away. Don't let all the negative hype scare you. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Those of you who have stopped using WEN -- what are you using now?  I have been using WEN for several years now.  I like it, but frankly, I really don't want to spend that much money on my hair.  The only other shampoos I have are the little bottles from hotels, and those shampoos and conditioners are just awful.  I use them occasionally to use them up, and then mistakenly think all shampoos are that bad, which I know they are not.

So to save money, I may switch to a store bought shampoo or alternate with Wen every other time.

So what store bought shampoos are good?  One of the reasons I like WEN is that my hair is not a tangled mess after washing.

I use the Suave Salon line, right now its the Keratin for colored hair,  I have always combed out my hair while the conditioner sits in it while I wash the rest of me, then rinse.  No tangles

get one of those big wide combs and keep in the shower

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@nikki48 wrote:

If you have residue, waxy feeling, oily looking, white coating or "dirty feeling" scalp....you are NOT using enough of either Wen or WATER!!  You are NOT cleansing your scalp but either lightly rubbing it or ignoring it all together.

If you are used to stripping chemicals of shampoo, you have to learn to actually cleanse. Have you ever noticed how the shampoo girl/guy at the salon actually gets in and rubs your scalp WITH LOTS OF WATER. It feels like a relaxing head massage...thats cleansing!

So no, it doesnt leave a buildup... ineffective cleansing does!

This!!  You should be using enough and also dip your hair in the stream of water and it becomes really frothy and easy to work through your hair.  Massaging  even while rinsing out.  I didn't do that in the beginning and could tell it wasn't quite right.  When I got tips , and the WEN comb I never have that feeling.  In fact it feels cleaner than using shampoo.  Like @nikki48 said, massage your scalp like they do at a salon.  I promise that big old splash of water and enough product is a game changer 

Also the massaging is going to loosen up hair that was already going to fall out.  I never see hair any other place anymore besides the drain.  I always wondered about people saying they are losing hair because of WEN and if they are shedding all over the place like clothes, furniture etc.  I would think if it's just in the shower you are just loosening hair that was already going to shed.  JMO