Honored Contributor

Re: I think I've given up eyeshadow...anyone else?

[ Edited ]

I have 3 looks.  1. Nothing - which is what I wear most of the time. 

2. A light shadow with slightly darker in the crease, thin eyeliner, masara - this I would wear for lunch with friends and the like. 

3.  Light shadow on the lid, dark shadow in the crease and extending outwards, eyeliner that I cat-eye slightly at the corner, highlighter underneath the brow, one coat of Tightline and one or two coats of mascara.  That's my Sunday go to meeting look or the rare occasion we go out for something special.  I'm 61 and still enjoying  doing my special look.  It looks a lot more dramatic as I'm putting it on than the finished product though. 

I have always been into eye makeup and even bought Donna Mill's video The Eyes Have It many years ago.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

i gave up eye shadow probably about ten years ago. i found that it did not enhance my eyes that much and i feel i look better without it. PLUS, one less step in my routine! i do still wear eyeliner, mascara, and eyebrow pencil.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm 59 and I gave up eyeshadow about 5 years ago.  Some women go heavier with makeup as the age, some women go lighter and fresher.  I went lighter and fresher and stopped using shadow,  I just use mascara for fuller lashes and I took my hairdresser's advice and I get my brows done by a professional.  I'm meticulous about that.  You know your face and you know the look you want.  Decide for yourself, don't let people who want to sell stuff to you make the decision.  

Respected Contributor

At 67 I wear a gray/brown shadow on lid, crease. Used to highlight under brow and used brighter shimmering colors.

I love the Kim Gravel eyeliner——- the very, very best I’ve ever used. It glides on and stays put.

Can’t tolerate mascara. Find it irritating, so it’s saved for special occasions.

I use it 50 spf foundation (matte), Laura Geller/Clinique 

blush powder and cream.

NYC lipstick 💄, Neutragena lipgloss.

Underneath it all is Dhc Velvet Coat, as a primer.

Respected Contributor

It seems I am the opposite of many of the posts here. 

I've become more skilled with eyeshadow as the years go by. My eyes are deep set and not extremely hooded so some shadowing brings them out.

What I have done is given up eyeliner for the most part. I use a dark shadow to smudge a line under my lower lashes. I wiggle my mascara at the base of my upper lashes to darken that line. 

My eyes stand out much more with some skillful shadowing.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2  is right, you have to be sublte with shadows as we age with seeing less of our lids if we get hooded lids.

I find using neutrals under the brow and on the lid with a darker shadow in the outer corner of the lid works well for me. I also use eye liner (most times in some sort of color (not black) on the lower outer lash line to about a 1/3 of the way towards the inner eye and across the entire upper lid at the lash line. It doesn't look so severe or make your eye look squat.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have been thinking about it ( since you asked - LOL).  We’re the same age and it has become more challenging but unless Laura Gellar or Malley can come over I’m not sure it’s worth the disappointment. Plus, I am outside a lot and here in Texas heat all that mess burns my eyes when I sweat. 

Honored Contributor

I have one look which is full makeup with everything including eye shadow and liner and mascara.  It is me and I love the artistic aspect of doing my makeup daily.  It makes me feel happy and alive in spite of aging to look my best always.

Respected Contributor

I still need eye-shadow.  My favorite is one by e.l.f. in a round container called Toasted.  It is a pinky brown color which brightens up my eyes. I apply a very thin line of eyeliner.  Mascara only for special  occasions. Eyebrows must be pencilled in daily.

Honored Contributor

I’m in my early 60’s and My lids are a little hooded as well.  That can be genetic, but it can also come with age.  Although there are days when I don’t wear eyeshadow, I’m not ready to give it up completely.  With hooded eyelids, there’s definitely a certain application technique.