Respected Contributor

I think I've given up eyeshadow...anyone else?

I've gone pretty much without wearing eyeshadow for a about a month now...and I think I like it! I'm 64, and my eyes are so hooded shadow can't really be seen, so why bother? I do use eyeliner & mascara, and don't think I'll ever give those up. 

The shadows I have are all about at the end of their lives, so I really think I'm going to trash them & not buy anymore. I just ordered Laura Geller's Cheek to Chic pallette, it has two blushes, two highlighters & two bronzers...I think if I feel the need for shadow, I can make do with those.

What about you?

Respected Contributor

Re: I think I've given up eyeshadow...anyone else?

i gave it up a couple of months ago.  my lids are very oily, and no matter what primer i tried, eyeshadow just became more work than it was worth.  

Super Contributor

I am the opposite . Age 60 and just got Stila purple eye shadow . My eyes are green and it makes them pop . Never worn this colour before . 

Hope I dont look like I am trying too hard . Daughter said she liked it . Will probably not wear for work , more for date nights .

Honored Contributor

I too have given up eye shadow, Im 74.  I still wear eyeliner and mascara, blush and lipstick.  Thats it.  

My eyelids are hooded too, especially my right one and even obscures my vision some.  I have been pondering a blethroplasty but dont like the idea of cutting around my eyes.  Im a big chicken.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm Asian so the hooded eye has always been challenging for me when it comes to eye makeup. I'm 63 and my lids are in good shape really...no crepiness or sagging. The best look for me is a smokey eye with a heavy liner. That's really the only way I can make my eye makeup noticeable. Most of the time, though, I only wear a tight-line on my upper lash line with some minimal mascara. 

Respected Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

I am the opposite . Age 60 and just got Stila purple eye shadow . My eyes are green and it makes them pop . Never worn this colour before . 

Hope I dont look like I am trying too hard . Daughter said she liked it . Will probably not wear for work , more for date nights .

@Liverbird1 If you like it and it makes you happy...go for it! I love plum colors for my brown eyes, but for me they just can't be seen, so make no difference. I just might get a plum eyeliner, though. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Ita..also in my sixties...been wearing eye shadow all my life...will never be without it!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Because of my age, 73, and hooded eyes I too have become more of a minimalist w/eyemakeup.  Still love lipstick, touch of blush, mascara and liner.  But, am skipping all those shadows, the palettes with lid, crease, accent colors. 

I do add color around my eyes with eyeliner, subtle though, like navy, charcoal, plum on occasion. 

Shadows w/color run and fade and don't show up anyway unless my eyes are closed!  I do use a greyish taupey shade with a hint of mauve on the hooded part to help it recede and bring out the green or blue in my eyes.

I just received some loose bare minerals very light pink eyeshadow called Whisper from QVC to try as an overall lid brightener, and so far it looks very nice.  I don't even use a primer on a daily basis anymore, just now and then when I want everything to last and look nice.

Recently I decided to try a soft eyeshadow and mascara, no liner, and oops, looked like an albino bunny......so liner is the definition my eyes need, as well as mascara; shadow is optional now.

Respected Contributor

@vermint   I am the opposite too.  As I've gotten older, my eye sockets have become deeper and the area around my eyes has darkened, so I have to do something to bring them out, or I'll look like Dracula's daughter!

I have to use a light primer over my entire upper eye area, and a brightener under my eyes.  I used to love using a lavender shadow with my dark green eyes, but I use more peach and pinkish pastels now, with a light green on the actual eyelid.  My lashes are long but light, so I still need eyeliner and mascara.  Mornings are my artistic time of the day......you should see my eye makeup arsenal!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

No ... I'm stll using eye shadow.  I don't expect that I'll ever stop.  

I use a light "dusting" of a smokey taupe/gray powder (my own mixture) from brow to lashes.  I wear glasses and this application gives me the look I like.  

I don't use mascara or liner.