Occasional Contributor

I would go to Sephora and have them match your foundation to your skin tone while at the same time they will give you samples of all or some of the other matches. I had it done and received a bunch of generous samples so I could try each one. Nars and Dior were two of my favorites.

Respected Contributor

I used to be the same way - an oil slick mess after foundation.

Ever since I started using Mario Bandescu Glycolic Toner with a dab of Paula's BHA Liquid each morning after cleansing this no longer happens. I have Tarte Foundation, Urban Decay, BE matte & LG Balance & Brighten and I can wear any of them (I like to rotate) and end up with great results all day. I do use BE Mineral Veil SPF 1 time during the day, usually apply on my lunch hour.

Don't give up!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with Harpa. Are you sure you really need foundation all over? I use some concealer under eyes, on laugh lines and around nose and that's it. I often wonder if it is so necessary and women just think they need it. (I understand if you really have problem skin). Finding the right one seems to be one of the biggest challenges around here.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pommom - I feel your pain. I'm 65 and still have oily skin, especially in summer. I tried several primers over the years, but my complexion is much less oily without any primer. I just cleanse, apply Vit C serum, and then foundation. Done! The fewer layers, the better.

This summer I discovered Rimmel's Stay Matte foundation. It does what it says - it stays matte for hours, even if I'm outdoors. I only squeeze a pea-size drop out of the tube, then rub it between my fingers for a few seconds before applying. It spreads like a cream, but dries to a nice matte finish.

For winter, I have a different routine and foundation.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor
On 8/14/2014 tucsongal said:

I agree with Harpa. Are you sure you really need foundation all over? I use some concealer under eyes, on laugh lines and around nose and that's it. I often wonder if it is so necessary and women just think they need it. (I understand if you really have problem skin). Finding the right one seems to be one of the biggest challenges around here.

That's what I do, as well. I use IT for concealer & the remaining product I have on my fingers, I smudge on my nose & upper cheeks (a la Triangle of Light). Pull out my fluffy brush & smooth all of it out...but nothing is in my chin, forehead or outer perimeter of my face. Fresh, clean...but with a little bit of natural coverage in the center of the face.

Super Contributor
I felt the same way you do, I didn't even wanna use foundation because I was an oil slick or really dry looking. Honestly my last product I had a sample of was Bobbi Brown BB Cream in the color extra light I didn't think I would really like it because its more for oily skin and I'm a little more on the dry side. I have found my HG its not yellow @ all like a lot of people say her stuff is. I beg you just get a sample and try it I don't use any moisturizer under it. With most all products I need moisturizer. This stuff is AMZING I hope she never discontinues this.
Respected Contributor

My goodness, Beauties! Smile You sure have come to my rescue with a myriad of great recs!

I think I'm going to bypass primer (actually, I had an inkling this was contributing to the problem, but felt I had to apply it to keep my foundation from sinking into my skin).

Well, now, I'm going to make a list and give some of these a try.

Thanks soooo much. Good to know I'm not alone.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Try Maybelline FIT in the stick. I love that.

I have skin that leans towards dry on my cheeks but my t-zone is oily. Some foundations make my forehead and chin area a greasy mess after a few hours.

I don't have that problem with the Maybelline FIT and you can built coverage with it.

Esteemed Contributor

ANOTHER VOTE FOR THE MAYBELLINE FIT IN THE STICK! And believe me I tried them all!

Esteemed Contributor

I am 59 with oily skin. I normally don't wear foundation at all unless I'm "duding" up for special reason and even then, I just dot it where I want to even out a bit. I never use it all over.

For everyday wear, I just put concealer lightly under the eyes, around the nostrils, and a bit around the mouth after I have applied my sunscreen. If I think I need a little more smoothing or pore filling, I will tap on some Skinn Orchid gel or Mally's Poreless Face Defender.