Honored Contributor

I think I have a haisrpray allergy!

I seem to get nasal congestion from hairspray. 

In the morning I am so stuffy and the only thing I have changed is the hairspray. Anyone have this also??

I once tried a non allergic hairspray and it did not hold my hair at all so that was a bummer.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: I think I have a haisrpray allergy!

@CherryHugs wrote:

In the morning I am so stuffy and the only thing I have changed is the hairspray. Anyone have this also??

I once tried a non allergic hairspray and it did not hold my hair at all so that was a bummer.

@CherryHugs , put a mask on when you spray your hair...or at least try one. It helps me because all hairspray seems to make me sneeze or wheeze.

Respected Contributor

Try spraying your hair outside, that will assure you it's either the stale overnight air or hairspray.

Maybe it's the fragrance, Redken makes one with no fragrance...white can I believe or a white top.

I like redken, it doesn't smell like a "perm beauty salon" product and actually the 32 holds your hair.

Honored Contributor

This is the ALLERGY SEASON.    Trees, shrubs, grass, weeds......EVERYTHING is blooming.    Pollen allergies are worse in the morning.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have known 2 women who developed serious fatal lung conditions because of hairspray  useage. One was a beautician  and the other lady used  tons of hair soray every day on her hair for  years . They both died of  what lay people used to call Hair Dressers Disease ,  properly known as Interstitial  Lung fibrosis.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44  that is awful!

wonder what a person should do when they need to use some hairspray!?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

When I use hairspray, I hold my breath and wave the air.

Esteemed Contributor

Limit use and when using  spray in a well ventilated area

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I am highly allergic to many hair care products. Hairspray is really a problem. I have not used any in years. When I go to the salon I do not allow the stylist to put any products in my hair. 

I believe the scent in the products causes much of the problem, but dyes and color additives can cause a reaction.

A while ago I posted a request for QVC to host a Sensitivities Show asking their vendors to take products back to the most basic ingredients omitting fragrance, dyes, flavorings, etc.  There is a large group of us needing help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs 

Sorry that I can't offer a solution, but I commiserate with you!  I can't handle hairspray either!  Not the smell, or the actual spraying -- it chokes me up terribly and then I get a headache and also it makes my skin breakout where it lands!  I would not think that inhaling these particles would be good for anyone!  I don't see how hair stylists can stand using these products all day long, every day!  I'm getting to where heavy scents in any hair products just bothers me a lot!  

I did read once that if you just need a tiny bit, spray a little on a tooth brush and then go over the flyaways or bits that need control.  Maybe you could do this outside or in a well ventilated room!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin