Trusted Contributor

Re: I submitted a ? to Beautypedia re: damaging ingred. in It CC spf50

@shoekitty wrote:

I worked in a museum for years.  I managed the museum as well as the collection.  I loved doing the women's room.  Here are some interesting products and notions.  I

From the 1920's to late 40's Mercrolium was a treasured night cream.  It had the highest % of mercury than any other brand.  Guaranteed to give you "smooth, glowing skin"!  Then there were cigarettes, guaranteed to relax the intestines, and give you more beautiful skin.  Lye soap no fad only among the Grannie Clampetts of the world.  It was a basic treatment.Young women were tutored in it to have skin that will "send you a husband"  Babies were washed with lye soap, if their mothers cared about their hygiene.

One of my favorite things was the tonics sold to clean a women's constitution!!  Therefore guaranteeing  her great skin, steady  nerves, a life free of ennui, women's malady's.  Oh, and "piles" which I think were hemorrhoids.  These tonic usually containe quinine, alcohol, morphine (or cocaine) and a juice like fig or prune.  Who wouldn't be glowing after a shot of that?  LOL!

@shoekitty, great post! Amazing the things we did to ourselves and the crazy product formulations. I wonder what the next few generations will have to say about what we are using now.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Valued Contributor

I take what Paula's site says with a grain of salt (Oh, wait!  Salt has been proven to cause high blood pressure so I better make sure I don't even take a grain of it!)  I find that she discounts products based on the inclusion of individual ingredients.  As I tried to show, if you did that with food, you'd never eat anything even with a small amount of sodium in it.  (It's amazing how many people eat food filled with ingredients you can't say or that have been proven harmful but they are so picky about skincare!)  However, it is ingredient percentages and combinations that are important, unless the ingredient is proven poisonous in even the smallest amounts.  MOST essential oils are quite strong so very little is needed to mask/create scent.  Most of the studies done on essential oils are done with the pure, undiluted oil in relatively large quantities over a period of time.  Saying that a small, diluted amount of oil in a cosmetic with many other ingredients is doing "hidden" damage to your skin is bordering on the Emporer's New Clothes.  A good example is lavendar oil.  Lavendar essential oil has been used in dilute form for decades in treating and healing burns.  Obviously, it wouldn't be considered dangerous or doing "hidden" damage if it has been and still is used by doctors with burn patients.  My great grandmother, who lived to be 3 months shy of 100, made her own face cream and soap and it was always lavendar.  She had beautiful skin.  I am in my mid 50s and have used lavendar essential oil in lotions since I was a teenager and it has done nothing bad to my skin.  You can go ahead and stay away from every ingredient in skincare that has been shown "in studies" (which can be found for ANYTHING) to be damaging (regardless of how differently it was used in the study v the actual product).  It will leave you very little to choose from other than single ingredient treatments which, in fact are often quite nice (almond oil for your face, jojoba oil for your body, etc.).

Occasional Visitor

I'm new here but when I have time I like to read over the forums subjects, especially ones that I'm interested in.  My work has changed so I'm actually at home to be able to watch the shows that I'm more interested in from time to time.  I've picked up some really good tips here in the Forums and I appreciate that! 

This subject about asking a question at the beautypedia site struck me because I asked a question there several months ago.  I've used Purity as my cleanser for a long time.  I used to get the "lunchtime peels" when they were BioMedic.  I've never had any problem with my skin over the years that I've used philosophy products.  I research products before I buy them most of the time unless it's one that I've read good recomendations from a respected source.  I check out beautypedia sometimes, too.  

I had read about the Tatcha line in several articles and I decided I wanted to try the oil cleanser and enzyme power to see if I liked it.  I ordered it from their website (glad to see it's here, too).  I had already been using it already and loving it.  One day I was looking up a product on beautypedia and their review on the Tatcha cleanser wasn't so great referencing the same thing - oils, fragrance.  So I emailed them to ask what they found when they tried the product as far as sensitivity goes (in addition to the "studies" they cited) because I had been using it, liking how it cleansed my skin and that I didn't notice too much fragrance as I used it.  I didn't think the response I received was very credible.  They wrote back that they didn't actually try a product or physically have each product they write review, but they review based on the "science" and the "studies" they cite.

Out of curiosity, I spent some time researching a couple of studies they cited on different products and the studies were out of date, more recent studies concluded that some of the ingredients beautypedia writes as damaging, etc. really were not and especially when they are combined with certain other inegredients for a more updated chemistry used in formulating products.  So my research has caused me to have doubt with some of their reviews.

I noticed over the weekend while I was watching AM Style there was a Paula's Choice product presented.  Don't misunderstand - I think they make some excellent products, but I'm not comfident about all of their reviews.  I wonder how vendors who have been mostly negatively reviewed on the site feel about Paula's products being on QVC if there are more of Paula's prodcuts added and get in the Beauty shows.  Just a thought. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lizzielovesqvc wrote:

I'm new here but when I have time I like to read over the forums subjects, especially ones that I'm interested in.  My work has changed so I'm actually at home to be able to watch the shows that I'm more interested in from time to time.  I've picked up some really good tips here in the Forums and I appreciate that! 

This subject about asking a question at the beautypedia site struck me because I asked a question there several months ago.  I've used Purity as my cleanser for a long time.  I used to get the "lunchtime peels" when they were BioMedic.  I've never had any problem with my skin over the years that I've used philosophy products.  I research products before I buy them most of the time unless it's one that I've read good recomendations from a respected source.  I check out beautypedia sometimes, too.  

I had read about the Tatcha line in several articles and I decided I wanted to try the oil cleanser and enzyme power to see if I liked it.  I ordered it from their website (glad to see it's here, too).  I had already been using it already and loving it.  One day I was looking up a product on beautypedia and their review on the Tatcha cleanser wasn't so great referencing the same thing - oils, fragrance.  So I emailed them to ask what they found when they tried the product as far as sensitivity goes (in addition to the "studies" they cited) because I had been using it, liking how it cleansed my skin and that I didn't notice too much fragrance as I used it.  I didn't think the response I received was very credible.  They wrote back that they didn't actually try a product or physically have each product they write review, but they review based on the "science" and the "studies" they cite.

Out of curiosity, I spent some time researching a couple of studies they cited on different products and the studies were out of date, more recent studies concluded that some of the ingredients beautypedia writes as damaging, etc. really were not and especially when they are combined with certain other inegredients for a more updated chemistry used in formulating products.  So my research has caused me to have doubt with some of their reviews.

I noticed over the weekend while I was watching AM Style there was a Paula's Choice product presented.  Don't misunderstand - I think they make some excellent products, but I'm not comfident about all of their reviews.  I wonder how vendors who have been mostly negatively reviewed on the site feel about Paula's products being on QVC if there are more of Paula's prodcuts added and get in the Beauty shows.  Just a thought. 

Why do you put "science" and "studies" in quotes? Is it that you do not believe in "science" and "studies"?

As she states in many instances, the damage is underlying and has nothing to do with trying the product and seeing irritation. That is kind of the point- the irritation and damage is occurring below the surface where you cannot see it. The breaking down of, say, collagen, is damaging but you will not be able to "see" it or feel it. 

You can also google for more recent studies that back up the studies she cites if you are interested. She doesn't go through and update the studies after her initial reviews unless new and more credible evidence comes out and she is changing her stance on it due to the newer information. That really isn't realistic to expect that but you certainly can do that on your own. There are many out there to read.

If one does not want to put any weight into "science" and "studies" and dismiss it altogether and only wants to go by if they can see or feel any irritation, that is certainly their prerogative.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze

Hi Happy,

I agree with you, and I agree with Lizzie.  I think you can research until you are blind, and there is always another study. Todays wonder product, is tomorrow's damaging product.  JMHO. I think I need to take what I research, what I know about my skin history and apply it to what works for me.  As I said, I cannot use essential oils myself, but I know women older than I am (and I didn't think anyone could be that old, LOL) who have used Lavander oil, and other essential oils for most of their life.  When you are 70 or 80, and you have great skin to the naked eye, would one be worried about underlying damage, or is it just age?  That is my point.

Some women have what I call tough skin.  They can put anything on it, and they do not react.  I think it is DNA myself.  Me?  No I cannot use many things, and I am careful.

I have found talking to older women (older than 80) with good skin, they avoided the sun their whole life.  Always hats, and if it was too sunny they would not go out in it.  They wore gloves as well, even to wash dishes and clean, and garden

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add thinking about the hat issue, up until 1960's women always wore hats and gloves when going out.  They also wore face power that in the old days acted as a sunscreen.  Skin care was basic.  Mainly soap and water, or a cleansing cream like Aboline or Ponds. Witch Hazel for toner.  Mind you most lipsticks, make up and mascara at that time was toxic, but most women back then didn't seem to suffer from adult acne, breakouts and problems like woman today do.  Diet, lifestyle enviroment?  Who knows.

Honored Contributor

I'd have to disagree with the statement that for every study you find you can find one that says that opposite, at least regarding certain frangrant oils. I've rarely seen studies that have shown some of these oils to actually be beneficial to the skin, or at least more beneficial than harmful, while I've seen numerous studies that show they are harmful. Witch hazel is an example of an ingredient where I find many contradictory studies as to it being more harmful or more beneficial for the skin so it does happen but regarding certain fragrant essential oils, this is rarely the case.

@bella Carro makes some great points in her post as well.

Again, whatever anyone wants to believe is their choice but it always bothers me when people dismiss the science because a.) they don't fully understand it, b.) they don't think it applies to them and/or c.) they love their product and don't want to give it up regardless of what it may be doing. I personally don't care if you want to continue using products that may be harming your skin long-term-matters not to me- I just don't think ignoring the science and implying it is flawed in some way because you don't feel it is happening to you is scary. 

But I guess humans have it in their nature to do this in the face of all  aspects of science as is evident on these forums- like not wearing sunscreen or protecting yourself from the sun (=skin damage and/or cancer), eating high amounts of sugar, salt and fats (=obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc), etc.

Image result for trying to force a horse to drink water

Contributor

So true shoekitty.  I remember when acne was something that you grew out of in your teens (maybe early 20s), and yet here I am at 50 with breakouts still happening.  Granted, they aren't as bad as they were when I was 17, but stil, I really thought I'd be done now.

And you are right about hats and face powder.  I also think the foundations back then had more titanium dioxide in them which is a sunscreen.  So, while some generations may have baked in the sun on vacation, they were protected in their day to day movements (and they moved about more....lol).

Trusted Contributor

@JD13 wrote:

So true shoekitty.  I remember when acne was something that you grew out of in your teens (maybe early 20s), and yet here I am at 50 with breakouts still happening.  Granted, they aren't as bad as they were when I was 17, but stil, I really thought I'd be done now.

And you are right about hats and face powder.  I also think the foundations back then had more titanium dioxide in them which is a sunscreen.  So, while some generations may have baked in the sun on vacation, they were protected in their day to day movements (and they moved about more....lol).

I've been breaking out left and right at 60! I was lucky as a teenager in that I rarely had a breakout but I did have oily skin. I believe that part of my problem at this age is that almost every moisturizer and many serums have dimethicone or silicones in them. They used to only be in primers. Brands that did not use silicones like dimethicone or cyclopentasiloxane are now putting them into their products. I knew I couldn't use silicones years ago because I tried every primer on the market when they were first coming out. So I think anyone who is suffering breakouts should try to rule out whether or not silicones in their skin care products and makeup might be the cause.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Regular Contributor

The issues I have with the cosmetics cops/Paula (besides the advertisements for her own products on the same page as the review) are: 

1.  As already stated, how long does it take for this super-secret irritation to appear?  People have been using Purity for years with no problems.  Shouldn't they have noticed irritation?  

And 2.  When skin care lines have cleansers that tout anti-aging properties, the review will state that it's a useless product because the anti-aging ingredients are only on the skin for 30-60 seconds which is not long enough to be beneficial, then they're washed down the drain.  Is it not the same for the so-called irritants?  I don't think you can have it both ways.