Frequent Contributor

Re: I really need help wih my nails..........

On 1/13/2015 Porcelain said:

I have vertical ridges on my nails. Anyone got any suggestions about a treatment to get rid of them? I know how to hide the ridges, but I'd rather fix them or supply them with whatever nutrition they need to grow normally like they used to.

Porcelain, I too have these ridges & hate them! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Contributor

my nails would break like yours and split and peel. I went to a natural homeopath type doctor. My iron test came back on the low side of normal so he put me on prescription iron. My nails are beautiful, thick, no peeling. I have to clip them because hey get so long now. Sadly it has done nothing for my thin hair Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

I don't have problems with my nails. My fingernails are about my last nice thing.

I do use Nailtiques. Other have mentioned formula 2. I use formula 1 which I guess is for maintenance. I mainly started using it as a good base to help my nail color adhere and last longer.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

After trying so many different products and oils, Hard As Hoofs Cream has been a life saver for my nails. Super cheap too! $4.95 at Walmart.

Honored Contributor

I take vitamin D3 and my nails are extremely strong. I had never had strong nails in my life and wondered why, suddenly, at age 60, my nails had gotten strong. Slaps forehead and remembers "I had the D3, not the V8."

New Contributor

Please check out Vaniply ointment on Amazon. I had the exact same issue. This was frustrating because my nails were always fine until my first manicure. After that, my nails wouldn't stop splitting. I saw a dermatologist about this and his suggestion was the Vaniply ointment. This happens when nails are dry. You're supposed to apply a thick coat after your nails have been in water to lock in the moisture. For example, apply after showering, after doing dishes, or after washing your hands. In the beginning, I applied about 3-4 times per day. Let sit on nails for about 10 minutes, then rub into nails. You can decrease to 1-2 times per day when you start to see improvement. I would definitely try this since it was recommended by my doctor and actually worked great for me. Check the reviews on Amazon. It will work for you too!
Contributor

I had a HORRIBLE experience with a gel manicure. My nails have been my pride and joy since my teens. They were ruined! It were so sore and soft I couldn't even wash my hair without breaking a nail or feeling incredible pain. I swear by hoof and nail! You can find it online and ebay. I swear it is the HG of nail strengthening. Even now I use opi or perfect formula but do still go back to hoof and nail because they are tough as nails :-D
Super Contributor

A couple more things to try that are very good - CND Solar Oil and Natural Additions by Delore. CND is available at Ulta and drugstore.com, Delore is available at Sally Beauty Supply and drugstore.com.
Valued Contributor

several products that were mentioned sound interesting. Wondering about Vaniply for one.

Thanks . I'll post again when I see improvement.

Contributor

Honestly your diet is where you need to start. Try drinking homemade bone broth( here's good information as to why: http://wellnessmama.com/23777/bone-broth-benefits/ to start

and then you can also include this product: http://www.amazon.com/Vital-Proteins-Pasture-Raised-Collagen-Peptides/dp/B00K6JUG4K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s...

and here is more explaining about the Gelatin Powder: http://wellnessmama.com/7419/gelatin-uses/

Hope this helps.