Honored Contributor

Re: I put sunscreen over a full face of makeup!

On 5/22/2014 KrissieK said: Is your sunscreen physical or chemical? If its chemical, it needs to be applied under makeup so that it can absorb properly. Chemical sunscreens won't be effective over makeup.

Truth be told, I bet a lot of people (me included) are using their sunscreen incorrectly. Dr. Schultz says the sunscreen needs to be the first thing that gets applied after cleansing for optimal protection. This is particularly important with chemical sunscreens because the chemical(s) actually have to react with the skin to become effective. This is also why they say to wait 20 minutes before going out in the sun, so the reaction has time to place and the protection to be activated. He also says with physical sunscreen it's optimal to also apply that first so nothing else can penetrate and you get the promised protection/result as it was tested in the lab. In practice, though, it shouldn't matter if it's first, last or somewhere in between in the layering process, there's still going to be that barrier effect. Another thing he said, regarding re-application, is that if someone has sunscreen on and their face is made up, if they're outdoors doing a lot of sweating, swimming, remaining in the sun for an extended period of time etc. to where their makeup comes off, then re-application should be done every few hours. It's not a perfect situation as it would be with a freshly clean face, but it's reasonable to think there's not much of anything left on the face by the time one's gotten wet, dried their face, etc. Yet if the person's makeup is still intact, it's reasonable to expect the sunscreen underneath (or SPF in their foundation) is also still intact and doing its job so re-application under those circumstances isn't really quite as necessary.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much. JeanLouiseFrench that is great to know if my face is still made up my sunscreen should still be good. I thought maybe it just expired when exposed to air for a while, or something like that. I also read I was using it Thanks KrissyK. I had no idea what kind of sunscreen I used. I looked it up and discovered my sunscreen is chemical. Sorry I gave y'all some bad advice. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

I put my sunscreen on first then the other stuff. I let it sink in too. I would have thought the added liquid/cream would mess up the other stuff.

Valued Contributor

On 5/23/2014 wagirl said:

I put my sunscreen on first then the other stuff. I let it sink in too. I would have thought the added liquid/cream would mess up the other stuff.

I usually do too. Now that I know if my make up is still good my sunscreen should be I won't have to do that again. Smiley Wink. I just didn't want to have to re-do my whole face to add more sunscreen.