Trusted Contributor

Re: I no longer prefer opaque lipsticks; I now like to wear sheer lipstick or glosses anyone else?

It's funny, I've actually gone back to more opaque lipstick. I found that the sheerer, glossier versions never stayed on me more than 15 minutes. Kind of going back to my roots, so to speak. I used to wear more opaque lipcolors years ago.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Re: I no longer prefer opaque lipsticks; I now like to wear sheer lipstick or glosses anyone else?

I am 78 and my lips were once very full ("bee stung" as my mom used to say).  However, they have thinned out with age.

I put a fine yellow powder on my lips only and then apply a medium pink opaque lipstick which I then blot.  I reapply the yellow powder very, very thinly and the opaque lipstick.  I then  use a gloss, which I can reapply as needed.  My lips don't lose color unless I am ready to take it off.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

It's funny, I've actually gone back to more opaque lipstick. I found that the sheerer, glossier versions never stayed on me more than 15 minutes. Kind of going back to my roots, so to speak. I used to wear more opaque lipcolors years ago.

Same here, with 15 minutes being optimistic.

Mattes today come in different formulas. I recently bought a Laura Mericer Velour Lovers Lip Colour in the shade Embrace. The formula is a satin matte and has a bit of shine. It lasts very well and isn't drying. I don't even feel the need to top it with a gloss.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I also tried the LM Lip Velours. The shades are lovely, but I preferred the finish from my Tom Ford lipstick in Pink Dusk.

Glad that LM worked for you, suzyQ. Enjoy!

Super Contributor

I, too, no longer wear opaque lipsticks. I have found that Lipstick Queen's sheer lipsticks look really good on me. Even my 13 year old granddaughter complimented me when I wore LQ's Frog Prince. She liked it so much that I got it for her for her birthday. I also like Hello Sailor, a mauve-y tone and Medieval, a clear red which is just beautiful. They are so moisturizing and feel so good.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 67 and I agree with you completely. My lips have lost color and plumpness and opaque lipsticks just seem to make them even smaller. I now prefer glosses as well. Not only have I had to change my makeup many times over the last few years, but now I am also letting my hair go natural and I find what worked for me last month as far as makeup is now not working at all. Not sure I will leave my hair natural or not because I don't recognize who is looking back at me in the mirror, but I will give it my best shot. Who ever said red heads don't go gray???????

Trusted Contributor

I am almost 54 yo and haven't been able to wear opaque lipsticks in a few years.  I still have two.  A nudish color and a hot pink.  I use them as a base and apply lip gloss over them.  Usually, I just wear lip gloss on its own.  Also, colors that are too dark or too light are terrible on me.  As you can probably tell, I am very particular about lip colors.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChouChou wrote:

I, too, no longer wear opaque lipsticks. I have found that Lipstick Queen's sheer lipsticks look really good on me. Even my 13 year old granddaughter complimented me when I wore LQ's Frog Prince. She liked it so much that I got it for her for her birthday. I also like Hello Sailor, a mauve-y tone and Medieval, a clear red which is just beautiful. They are so moisturizing and feel so good.

@ChouChou 

Thanks for the great recommendation! Went on line and am fascinated with Frog Prince. (Besides, I study fairy tales and the frog prince tale is one of my favorites!)

2287881.jpeg

Just ordered it from Nordstrom's, can't wait!

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama I've found that using a lipstain under tinted lip balm or gloss helps. Then I still have some color when the gloss wears off, and I can't immediately reapply. Covergirl lipstains are my favorite...inexpensive and long-wearing.

As to the OP's question...I'm 61, and for a number of years now, opaque lipsticks have looked awful on me. They make my lips look really crinkled, not to mention the bleeding into the little lines. Lip liner is such a pain, too. Long-wearing lipsticks were very drying. I started wearing the stains under tinted balms or gloss, and never looked back! The sheer color doesn't really show if it bleeds, and I can just swipe it on without a mirror.

Valued Contributor

Good morning :

I am 53 and I agree I have gone softer with my makeup .Even though I still have oily acne prone skin ,I can't use mineral powders anymore. They settle into fine lines and just don't look as good as they did before . I have switched to liquid foundations ilia Beauty and Sappho are really wonderful they have good ingredients . I just use a little finish powder on my nose and forhead . I also stopped using bronzers but love luminzers W3ll People and Ilia are great . Eye shadows I like COlOUR Pop , but recently found the brand Rituel De Fille they are expensive but since I have pared down my collection to what I find works and not just buying the latest and greatest I don't mind  spending a bit more for products I only use Cruelty free brands and organic or at least   healty options . Lip colors I find I have been using glosses by Modern Minerals or LIving Libations in soft sheer reds . Darks and nudes colors no longer work either . Logical Harmony is a wonderful sight . I really like that the sight is updated each week , and if you go to her YOUTUBE channel you can see her review the products, swatches  and also get ready with me makeup videos . have a great day !!