Respected Contributor

I never bought Borghese. Where Do I Start?

Everytime some mentions this brand coming onthe other channel I am also ways interested but haven't a clue on where to start. Any recomendations? TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: I never bought Borghese. Where Do I Start?

Borghese was my "go to" brand all through the late 70's, the entire 80's and early part of the 90's. It's a great brand but sadly, has been purchased a few times so products went away/were changed and for me, that was the end.

They are KNOWN for their FANGO. Originally, it was just the FANGO for the face and for the hair. The HAIR FANGO was always in the magazines as an amazing conditioner for troubled hair; I remember one article saying adding an egg to it and the picture showed that being done. Super product.

Suffice it to say, their body products are amazing. Just amazing. The bath salts turn your water a gorgeous shade of blue and the smell is of a spa that just makes you go "Ahhhhh". The body tona (body cream) changed in scent and I don't care for it so I stopped using it BUT the product itself is one of the best for winter skin. The masks (any of them for face and body) are excellent (FANGO again).

Skincare wise.. much has changed yet they've kept a number of their original products because they work. 

*Eye Compresses- love them, especially during allergy season

*Crema Cleansing Cream/Delicate Cleansing Cream- excellent

*Cura di Vita Protective Moisturizer spf15 is a great lightweight moisturizer and is lovely under makeup

*Curaforte Moisture Intensifier works under any moisturizer to up the hydration level

*Spa Soothing Tonic soothes the skin and feels wonderful after a mask or during the winter. 

*Equilibrio Moisturizer is a good basic moisturizer minus spf

THe other products, I have no idea.

Makeup wise, their lipsticks are their #1 product. The blushes and eyeshadows are nice, their mascara is excellent (I think). Beyond that.... they don't carry what I used anymore.

I started out with the FANGO in high school, moved on to their skincare and makeup during the 80's. Late 80's they were going through problems, lawsuits, buy-outs and were suddenly gone from stores (the ones I shopped at). I found it briefly in the early 90's, bought what items I loved that they still sold but then... they were discontinued. Currently, my local Lord & Taylor carries them but NONE of the foundation shades work, they no longer carry their loose powder... I've simply moved on.

Where to start? Sets. Travel size sets. Depending on what you want: body, face or makeup. You'll get a nice array of products to try that all work together and then you can go from there. Enjoy!!

Valued Contributor

I love their Fango Mud. I haven't had success with their skin care products or makeup. So, I just buy 2 products- Fango Mud and Il Bacio Perfume. I've worn Il Bacio since the 90's and it is my signature scent. It is getting harder and harder to find. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama  I honestly don't know very much about the products, but was a bit interested after hearing about the Fango Mud Masks here.  There was a really good TTV a couple of years ago that contained very large jars of the mask (can be used on face and body), a mild body scrub, and body moisturizer.  I bought the "active" version for deep cleansing - ordered several actually as I planned to gift some.  Truth be told, the body scrub and moisturizer were just kind of "meh", if you know what I mean - nothing spectacular, IMO.  The mask worked, but you really have to put it on thick and not allow it to dry completely.  I ruined a few washcloths because the mask stained them so they became dedicated for use when I masked.  Because I bought it and still have a little left, I will use up what I have, but I can't say it's really worth the price and I just found they do some animal testing (something that wasn't a big concern of mine a couple of years ago, but is now in the areas of skincare and cosmetics).  JMHO

Nowadays I prefer the Skinn Pore Vacuum mask because it doesn'/t dry hard, but still deep cleanses, and it's a light color so no more stained washcloths.  And another good ol' standby, similar to the Fango Mud Mask, is the very inexpensive Queen Helene Mint Julep Mud Mask that's available for under $5.00 at most drugstores and supermarkets.  Plus it's cruelty free.  Borghese seems, IMO, to be straddling the fence on that issue.  

From the Borghese website:

What is the policy of Borghese on animal testing?

We are committed to providing our customers with premium prestige products and we find it our fundamental obligation to develop and offer products that take into account and safeguard the health and safety of our consumers. We express this value as a primary principle; as a responsible producer, we also express it as part of our acknowledged understanding of the law. We are governed by laws that have been established to protect the public and prevent injury. Customer safety is a driving concern as well as a compelling, essential obligation and in terms of establishing satisfactory product safety, we must show that our products do no harm and pose no risk. To accomplish this, products must be tested and their safety proven. We are equally committed to offering our products in a clearly conscientious manner. To that end, we do not conduct animal testing on our products, nor employ others to test on our behalf, except where required by local regulation.

Esteemed Contributor

Fango has been their most popular product through all incarnations of this brand over the years.  You should probably try it.  In addition to always being available as a single item, it is usually a featured item in a lot of the kits offered on Evine.  

My favorite product in the line is Advanced Spa Lift for Eyes.  Evine always calls it Fluido Protettivo (it sounds more exotic).  This product is the longest running constant among my skincare products now.  I have used it for at least 25 years. Considering the skin around my eyes looks deceptively younger than my age, this product must be doing something to aid in that appearance. 

Regular Contributor

Coupon 15% off for new customer - just google Evine coupons

Respected Contributor

Thank you soo much for your infomation on these products, much appreciated!! I will not be ordering from this company due to animal testing so thankyou for mentioning this. I really appreciate  you mentioning other products also. I will look in the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mud Mask.  Thaks soo much!!

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, @cuddlesmama.  I'm really trying to be more conscientious about checking that.  That QH Mint Julep Mask has been around forever.  If you ever get a surprise zit, try using a glob of the mask on it overnight.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Borghese was my "go to" brand all through the late 70's, the entire 80's and early part of the 90's. It's a great brand but sadly, has been purchased a few times so products went away/were changed and for me, that was the end.

They are KNOWN for their FANGO. Originally, it was just the FANGO for the face and for the hair. The HAIR FANGO was always in the magazines as an amazing conditioner for troubled hair; I remember one article saying adding an egg to it and the picture showed that being done. Super product.

Suffice it to say, their body products are amazing. Just amazing. The bath salts turn your water a gorgeous shade of blue and the smell is of a spa that just makes you go "Ahhhhh". The body tona (body cream) changed in scent and I don't care for it so I stopped using it BUT the product itself is one of the best for winter skin. The masks (any of them for face and body) are excellent (FANGO again).

Skincare wise.. much has changed yet they've kept a number of their original products because they work. 

*Eye Compresses- love them, especially during allergy season

*Crema Cleansing Cream/Delicate Cleansing Cream- excellent

*Cura di Vita Protective Moisturizer spf15 is a great lightweight moisturizer and is lovely under makeup

*Curaforte Moisture Intensifier works under any moisturizer to up the hydration level

*Spa Soothing Tonic soothes the skin and feels wonderful after a mask or during the winter. 

*Equilibrio Moisturizer is a good basic moisturizer minus spf

THe other products, I have no idea.

Makeup wise, their lipsticks are their #1 product. The blushes and eyeshadows are nice, their mascara is excellent (I think). Beyond that.... they don't carry what I used anymore.

I started out with the FANGO in high school, moved on to their skincare and makeup during the 80's. Late 80's they were going through problems, lawsuits, buy-outs and were suddenly gone from stores (the ones I shopped at). I found it briefly in the early 90's, bought what items I loved that they still sold but then... they were discontinued. Currently, my local Lord & Taylor carries them but NONE of the foundation shades work, they no longer carry their loose powder... I've simply moved on.

Where to start? Sets. Travel size sets. Depending on what you want: body, face or makeup. You'll get a nice array of products to try that all work together and then you can go from there. Enjoy!!

Thank you soo much for your detailed experience with their products so much appreciated. I was watching the show and they have soo many kits, but what turns me off is that they do animal testing so  I won't be buying any of their products. I just found this out by reading another thread.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama  You're welcome and I understand; you must be true to yourself. : )