Respected Contributor

Re: I need to stop buying ____________

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Neck cream.  I am over thinking I need a separate cream for the neck vs. the face.

Your mention of the neck cream reminded me of an interview that I watched where Martha Stewart was talking about her beauty routine.  She said she never uses a specific cream for her eyes.  She said she feels that the regular cream that you use for your face is just fine to use around your eye area.  

Whether or not she is correct, I don't know, but I've always wondered about all of these area specific skin care products that are marketed.  Are they necessary or just a way to lure you in to spend even more money?  Maybe just a good quality face cream is all we need.

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

Your mention of the neck cream reminded me of an interview that I watched where Martha Stewart was talking about her beauty routine.  She said she never uses a specific cream for her eyes.  She said she feels that the regular cream that you use for your face is just fine to use around your eye area.  

Whether or not she is correct, I don't know, but I've always wondered about all of these area specific skin care products that are marketed.  Are they necessary or just a way to lure you in to spend even more money?  Maybe just a good quality face cream is all we need.

Whether one needs a neck cream or not depends on who you listen to; some makeup artists say it's not necessary, that face cream is fine for the neck area. Others say that one should use a specialized cream for the neck.

I never use a neck cream, the moisturizer I use for my face works just as well for my neck. Every person has their own individualized needs, but my feeling is that it's just a way to make one spend more money. If a person feels that buying a special neck cream is better, then go for it. I personally think that it would be waste of my money. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

Believe it or not, it was my husband's idea.  Who am I to disagree (g)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

absolutely nothing.  i buy what i need but I also purchase new items or if I am testing out other products.  I say you can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy it while you are living.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Perfumes.  I love so many so I don't have a signature scent.  Can't wear them all at once. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Neck cream.  I am over thinking I need a separate cream for the neck vs. the face.

I feel exactly like you do--it's probably a marketing strategy.  I've bought various top brands of neck cream and applied it as directed, but my good face cream works just as well, as least for me.

Respected Contributor

Lipsticks and hand cream. I kepp thinking there will be the best one that really works. I also seem to buy too many jeans lately and they don't wear out quickly. I buy too many bras also looking for the one that is just right.

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Glad my fashion thread sparked your post in Beauty. 😉

I don't buy or stockpile a lot of beauty or skin care. I pretty much buy just what I like and stick to those products. If I had to pick the item I buy most often, and have more than enough of, it would be lipsticks & lip balms. 

Respected Contributor

Cookies.

My beauty habits have come under control since I have followed the "What did you use up this week?" thread for a few years. It helped me be more mindful and work through my stash!

But my cookie habit is problematic. Sigh.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Shower gels, lotions, and perfumes.  I used to spend so much at BBW, qvc auto deliveries, and have not bought a shower gel in two years, still have not run out.  No Philosophy shower gels or perfume all year.  (Yep, too many 32 oz. and supersize 4 oz perfumes).  I’m proud I have not bought at the semi annual BBW sales In two years.  I swear my perfumes multiply, I use it daily, and I still have way too many bottles.  (Perfumes, body mists, etc)

Like @Jacie , I participate in the weekly, what did you use up thread.  The stash is STILL too big, but much better than two years ago.  Some of it is Christmas, birthday gifts from others.  Asked family, please no more!