Respected Contributor

I need some recommendations....

I have thick hair that is long, about 3/4 of the way down my back. I am looking for a micro fiber type hair towel. I've tried the Turbie Twist, but it's too small. Do you gals have any recs for me? I put it up with a towel, but it's so heavy. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: I need some recommendations....

@wvumountiefan

I use a really soft pillow case to get the excess water out of my hair because it doesn't rough up the hair cuticle. I don't keep it on my head in a turban-type configuration. I'm not sure how this would work on your hair, but maybe you could wrap it around and then tuck it in to secure?

Respected Contributor

I've never thought about a pillow case. Thanks, I will give this a try, but I do like to put it up in a turbin style while I do my makeup. 

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan

Here are some pictures of the SLAP cap (Satin Lined Caps) by Grace Eleyae.  

I bought one to sleep in but it drove me crazy.  I couldn't fall asleep with it on my head.  I don't think it would work for wet hair though (because of the satin lining).  There are a lot of online reviews as well as You Tube videos too.

I never have worked to style it with my curly hair.  Perhaps it is a little to hip-hop for my tailored/classic styles?

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.42.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.43.05 PM.png

It has a large capacity, I think it could even house dreadlocks if they weren't too extreme!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I like the Aquis hair towels and turbans. I've sometimes found them at Ross or Marshalls. I used to grab a few when I saw them there because they're not cheap.You can also find them on Amazon. Try searching for Aquis turban or Lisse Hair Turbans.

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I've never thought about a pillow case. Thanks, I will give this a try, but I do like to put it up in a turbin style while I do my makeup. 

@wvumountiefan, have you tried an old t-shirt as a turban? Many of us curly girls use old t-shirts to blot hair dry after a shower and/or use t-shirts to make a turban and hold the curls in place. It's called plopping. 

Here's a video. She starts the actual turban/plotting at about 2:10 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsmB3l02F1M

She ties the knot in the front. Here's a video of a woman who ties it in the back. She starts the actual turban around 38 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt8FmXoKjgM

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue  I will watch that video, but wanted to respond first by saying Thank you for the info. It's been a struggle, but I had never thought about a tshirt either. I will also look for the Aquis brand. Once again, thanks for all the info!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan

Maybe it's time to cut some of it off?    It would be a lot  easier to work with if it wasn't so long.

Frequent Contributor

I've made this suggestion before so please bear with me.  Go to the automotive section of Walmart and look around for the car wash products.  Look for a package of microfiber towels that will cost about $20.00 for five towels.  I find these towels are nice and thick and very absorbent.  I wrap one around my wet hair for about 5 minutes and my hair is air dried very quickly.  Hope this helps. Mardie

Esteemed Contributor

I use an old cotton t-shirt