Honored Contributor

I dont know how exactly to describe it so I will do my best.  

I am 76 yrs old and have been blessed with good facial skin with very minimal care until the last few months.  I guess I have minimal oily skin.  

In the last few months I have been been getting dry flakes of skin in and around the eyebrow area.  The skin on the area between my nose and upper lip is a pasty white as is my chin.  My face has a few brown spots with some splotchy red thrown in here and there, and the skin on my face is dull and yucky looking.  I know a lot of it is due to age, medications.

Is there anything that can help my facial skin have a more dewy look?  Perhaps a night cream?  I have always used Ponds because it was cheap and worked for me.  Its not working now.

I dont want to spend a fortune nor do I want to buy products to experiment.  Any recommendations would be very appreciated and helpful to me.

Thanks ladies.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I would ask @Shanus .  IMO, she is the beauty expert on these boards

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Valued Contributor

You might benefit from a visit to a dermatologist.  Sounds like it could be  a combination of things that would require more than one product.  Sometimes flaking in and around the eyebrows can be seborrheic dermatitis that a moisturizer may not help. A different product may be required for brown spots, etc.

Honored Contributor

My derm told me that good old vaseline works wonders.  Try applying some to your damp skin.  When I am really dry I do that at night and my skin is very soft in the morning.

You also might need to exfoliate you skin..if you are overly concerned it's always best to check with a doctor before you do anything new.  The vaseline cannot hurt you.

Honored Contributor

I would start by changing to a gentle cleanser, no hot or very warm water while cleansing ( and that means while in the shower as well) and do not use microfiber cloths on your face. If your house is a dry environment then consider using a humidifier. It's usually during the winter months when we have dry skin issues. We like to cleanse with hotter water and our homes are drier b/c of the furnace.

Honored Contributor

You can buy Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide and Squalane Oil from a company called "The Ordinary" for roughly $6-$7 for a 1 oz bottle.  You can buy from their website, Amazon or Ulta.  Apply in that order.  Apply the HA over damp to wet skin.  This will help with hydration.  The Niacinamide will help with evening out skintone and here is a tidbit about squalane.  These are inexpensive and products I use and  have seen the results I've mentioned here.  None of these ingredients will cause clogged pores.  Good luck!

According to research , squalane has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce redness and swelling. While squalane won't clog your pores, natural skin oils, dead skin cells, and bacteria can. So before applying squalane to your face, use a gentle cleanser to clean out your pores.

You can spend a lot more money on different products (and I do) but these are inexpensive and work.  Aveeno makes a nice and inexpensive moisturizer that has a soothing oat base.  You could start with these things to get your skin out of the predicament it's in now and then move to more advanced products if needed.  I keep these two products on hand in case I experience problems that need soothed and calmed.  Occasionally I'll just use this at night to give my skin a break.

Aveeno Calm + Restore Oat Gel Face Moisturizer, Sensitive Skin, 1.7 oz

Aveeno Calm + Restore Triple Oat Sensitive Skin Face Serum, 1 fl. oz

Love LOVE this moisturizer but it's expensive.

Image - The Dewy Skin Cream

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I want to learn ... you advised @Imaoldhippie  to not use microfiber cloths.  I was wondering your thoughts regarding this advice?

Honored Contributor

Re: I need help

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I want to learn ... you advised @Imaoldhippie  to not use microfiber cloths.  I was wondering your thoughts regarding this advice?

@shy bobcat 

Microfiber cloths are a wonderful cleansing option. The fabric works by grabbing and holding debris away from the surface where it's used. Microfiber is especially good at removing oils and waxy products and if used too frequently can lead to dry skin over time. Microfiber can also exfoliate the skin and that can also remove too much of our natural outer protective skin layer and cause dryness. It's best to limit the use of microfiber cloths and use them only occasionally.

If you have very oily skin then using microfiber often might be beneficial but otherwise normal or dry skin might not.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@shy bobcat 

Microfiber cloths are a wonderful cleansing option. The fabric works by grabbing and holding debris away from the surface where it's used. Microfiber is especially good at removing oils and waxy products and if used too frequently can lead to dry skin over time. Microfiber can also exfoliate the skin and that can also remove too much of our natural outer protective skin layer and cause dryness. It's best to limit the use of microfiber cloths and use them only occasionally.

If you have very oily skin then using microfiber often might be beneficial but otherwise normal or dry skin might not.

@SilleeMee   Understandably, the presentations don't always tell the whole story. Thank you for this information!

Honored Contributor

You're welcome @shy bobcat .