Respected Contributor

Re: I might not be around as much

So sorry to hear of your knee pain.

I would ask my primary care to call on your behalf to your surgeon to get you in sooner.

And also, definitely get a cortisone shot!

Honored Contributor

I had the one Synvisc shot in July in my right knee, cant say that it has helped. I would try Voltaren cream but it can come with lots of side effects, especially a rise in BP.  I am now adding Boswellia caps to my supplement arsenal.

Honored Contributor

Being in terrible pain, Nov is way too long to wait, try another doc if they cant get you in sooner. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

Oh my goodness, your plate is full! Bless your heart. I am so sorry your family and you are going through so much. I will say prayer for your family. I hope you are using ice on your knee every time you get a chance to lay down. It's what helps mine the most. The only thing I have at home to take is ibuprofen and that causes joint swelling so ice it is. We do have some emergency hydrocodone but in the past it has caused respiratory problems.
Yesterday the pain level was so bad I didn't care, it was worth the chance. Luckily I didn't have a bad reaction.
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle

I would probably do that if this was my first knee but he did a great job on my right knee and I don't want to chance getting a surgeon that might not do such a good job. My doctor's bedside manner could use a lot of work but that's okay I'll put up with it
Respected Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this monicakm.

I might suggest you call the scheduler and tell the truth, that you are in "excruciating pain." Throw yourself on his/her mercy and ask if any cancellations occur that they please call you. As you are truthful and sincere, their natural inclination should be to help you. I also might call every few days just to "check in". Calling continually usually doesn't help. 

I also think the suggestion made that your primary's office try to hasten your appointment was a good one.

Bless you and I hope you get to see the surgeon sooner rather than later.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant

That's a good idea, I'll call my doctor right now to see if he can get me in earlier. Thank you. Cortisone shot didn't help the first knee and this one feels a little further along than that one was. I just want to get the replacement and get it over with. I've lost a lot of the progress I made with my right knee due to my brother's illness, death, getting Mom and Dad into an assisted living and dealing with The pain of the left knee. I've lost a good bit of the flex so I am now trying to get back on my home exercises of flexing my knee and using the bicycle pedals... But I can only pedal with one leg.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
@Shelbelle

I would probably do that if this was my first knee but he did a great job on my right knee and I don't want to chance getting a surgeon that might not do such a good job. My doctor's bedside manner could use a lot of work but that's okay I'll put up with it

I understand, I love my surgeon who did my knee arthroscopic surgery in Jan for my torn meniscus, but I could not bear to be in such pain, no doc who knows you and has treated you before should keep an existing patient waiting like that. Try bypassing his staff and speak to him directly, and get him personally to get you in

Respected Contributor

@monicakm , I understand what you're going thru, except my pain is in my right shoulder. I spend my time between the heating pad and ice pack. Topicals don't seem to help much. Nor do Tylenol, etc. Every couple of days the pain goes away and I think, finally, but then the next days it's back. I have a few other health issues that I don't even want to have to have this checked, too. Anyhow, I hope you can get checked sooner rather than later and all goes well. Take care. 

Respected Contributor

I really like blue stop, it helps with my hip pain and I have a friend with a knee issue and it helps her a lot, just some temporary relief possibly.  Sorry you are going through this they should give you some pain relievers in the mean time.