Respected Contributor

Re: I may be in the minority but

I ordered some spring clothes from Loft and AnnTaylor. They were offering 50% off and free shipping on any amount so I could not resist.  I don't know that I'll have many places to wear these clohtes though, eventually.  I'm hoping my work won't shut down.  If it does I'll just return everything through the mail.  I'm still in the denial phase of things. 

Valued Contributor

QVC hasn't tempted me much lately: Just a D&C top in a color I didn't have (now up to 9 over 3 years) and a set of Lock & Lock. I spent so much stocking up on food, etc., for my household (people and pets) that the budget is awfully tight now. However, since the public library in my city closed this week, I have considered getting a Kindle Paperwhite reader. Maybe next month? QVC always has the Fire tablet but never the Kindle.

Valued Contributor

I bet both Qvc and Hsn will have huge disounts.I have no interest on buying clothes or cosmetics

I have a shopping addiction,this virus will cure me,at least for a few months.

Plus I would have to wash and disinfect everything that comes in the packages.

Regular Contributor

Nordstrom online & on the phone is crushed with shoppers. Many items sold out, not avaiable that usually are. They are very, very, very, very busy!!!

Frequent Contributor

I'm not so concerned about going out. Unfortunately with so many places closing, there isn't any place to go. 
what really worries me is the effect all the closing is going to have on the economy along with the stock market plunging every day. My husband and I are retired and our retirement investments are taking such a hit. That scares me more than catching the virus. 

Honored Contributor

I guess I AM in the minority cuz I am shopping and getting some great deals and extra discounts.

I am never in a hurry to receive anything, so if deliveries are slower, I am okay with that.

I have ordered a couple things from Q and my fav neck cream elsewhere at a HUGE discount!

Doing my part to keep the economy going!  LOL

Regular Contributor

Pipin, you should Google your concern about washing packages sent to you:

Can Someone Get Coronavirus (COVID-19) From a Package Sent From Areas Where People Are Infected?

There's no evidence that someone can be infected through a package. The risk is very low because the packages are shipped over a period of days or weeks and it's not likely that the virus would survive.

Valued Contributor

quarantine

@SilleeMee wrote:

My mind is preoccupied with planning ahead for the near future and that involves getting things in order for possible quarantine. Heck, right now I'm wondering if I'll be able to find stuff at the stores, like food and other basic necessities. Cosmetics and clothing are the farthest things from my mind right now. I'm frustrated, emotional and it feels like I could snap real easy if someone crosses me now and I hate that feeling.

@SilleeMee 

first, i want to say that i'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated.

maybe start by looking online for the 'basics' that you need. then venture out to the store that you think will have most of what you need, for food. just be there when they first open, if you want to park in the same town as the store <smile>

second, don't want for a possible quarantine. get what you can now! you need food whether there is a quarantine or not.

i went this morning to sams club, yes there was a line to get in (even though i got there 30+ minutes before they opened), but it seemed like every 10 minutes they let more people in.

in the store, there was a line for toilet paper and another line for paper goods like paper towels and kleenex. but at least they had a little of those items. (what am i missing? isn't toilet paper, a 'paper' product  <smile>)

it was extremely quiet. i was happy that people with children, left the children home.

more then likely, one store will not have everything that you need.

the 'experts' claim that there is no problem with the supply chain or suppliers, but i don't agree. if the store opens at 9am, shouldn't there be eggs and bread at 9:02 am? i think they are staple items, but apparently i'm wrong.

the only bread i saw was hawaiian rolls and sandwich rolls, which is what i wanted.

just do a little at a time.

i may have taken it to the extreme. the left side of my list was what i really wanted and the right side of the list was what to buy as a replacement or substitute for what i really wanted. the list did help a lot. i think being flexible is the key for the time being.

for example, i really wanted the big box of philly cheesesteak (uncooked). if they didn't have that, the substitute on my list was to buy a box of burgers. ironically, they had the philly cheese steak and the rolls that i wanted. go figure! no mayo, so i ordered that online.

last week and yesterday i ordered a lot of the non perishable items online from walmart and amazon. i figured that if the store was crowded, it would be less things i had to look for in the store.

then when i got home today BEFORE i even put away the food that i bought, i went back online and ordered the other things that weren't in the store.

keep a running list. i've noticed that walmart's site will say something is out of stock at 10am, then at 2 or 3 pm, the item is in stock online and can be shipped.

if you are near a walmart that does curb pickup or whatever it's called, you can order stuff online, then go pick it up and not get out of the car.

do what you can, when you can. in the end, you will be happy that you got most of what you wanted.

Honored Contributor

@iwrite 

I live in a boomtown where there are shortages of everything from tp to therapists. Walmart has stopped taking orders for pickup&delivery. Shelves are bare and people are stealing from other people. It's not a good situation here at all. Online ordering is backed up with a lot of orders not being shipped until mid April.  It's a bit stressful and frustrating tstl.

Trusted Contributor

Today I received my delivery of spring water and a case (48 rolls) of toilet paper (I ordered the TP from Amazon last week) and am still waiting for my pet supplies and my two "treat myself goodies" (not food type goodies, LOL) and ULTA is tempting me with on-line sales, 30% off coupon(with a lot of restrictions 👎) and free shipping on orders $15.00 or more. So far I haven't caved but it's still early evening so .......