Honored Contributor

Re: I'm in a personal rut- any advice ?

I would volunteer...somewhere you REALLY believe in.

Not just for the sake of volunteering, but to have a place to go to...dress up a little...meet new people.

It doesn't have to be something traditional like a hospital or school...it can be at a museum, park, theater.

The more you try new things...the more you will "perk" up!

Super Contributor

Hi lynbeechwood and everybody else. I'm so glad you started this thread. I've been feeling a lot of the things you wrote about. I'm 39 and quit my full time job about three years ago and now stay home with two teenage boys. I feel like I just left my old life where I actually had friends and an outlet behind, but at the same time now I have no pressures of the work field.

All this advice I'm reading on here is great. I actually do feel better when I get out and walk, and I do feel kind of pretty when I dress nicely and put on make up and jewelry and fix my hair just to go grocery shopping. I'm starting to think about joining a fitness center. I've never done that before. Umm, on the down side... I don't feel like my husband finds me attractive anymore. There's no special times for us anymore. I want it back so badly but I feel like he doesn't really care. I've been toying with the idea of becoming a cougar... rawr! It's just a silly thought, but I'm older now and really want to feel young and pretty and wanted again.

Super Contributor

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. I feel the same way. I always feel like I'm alone but I see by this I'm not. All the responses are inspiring.

Respected Contributor

Go and treat yourself to a make-over- new color & cut and a facial or massage!

Are you artistic? Go take a pottery class or paint a picture (they have those painting w/ wine (BYOB) classes-Grab a few girlfriends and go!

Take a cooking class-Learn how to make a pie-

Re-do (decorate) a room in the house-Fresh paint, etc...Put your stamp on it!

Join a book group or discussion group

Try the new restaurant in town-Make the point to go out once a week (movies, dinner)

VOLUNTEER!!!

Respected Contributor

I also can relate. My last daughter has gone off to college, and although I have alot to tend to, including living on a small farm, with animals to care for, and ALWAYS cleaning, and a husband that likes my cooking {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}...I began feeling like..so, now what?? What about lil ole me??

Sooo, I began oil painting (taught myself), super rewarding, and a whole new experience! I also, try to take some time to meet up with friend who shares my interests, and go out for lunch. For me , personally...I LOVE beauty, skin care, and make-up, so I take some time to go shop, or just research new products. LOVEEE perfume!! But I always try to keep myself looking good with taking care of my hair, and skin, and doing my nails, when I can. I love cooking, so watching favorite cooking shows can be fun. What I'm saying here, is sometimes we need a self-push to get up, and out. Maybe only once or twice a week, if that works for you. Sometimes, maybe just give in, and stay home, and make your surroundings pleasant, for you! But, what I found, is, it this bothers you enough, then you have push yourself, and just start with one new thing. I hope this helps, and your not alone, feeling like this...HUGS!!

Regular Contributor

What do I do to help myself?

Exercise-anything, and any every little bit will be good for your body & your mind.

Pamper your self- a piece of new makeup, or clothing, a long bubble bath, etc..... I indulge in regular massages.

Church or worship/feed your soul- I don't know if you attend any regular services, but this keeps things in perspective for me.

Change your routine- do something on a different day, or move some furniture around.

You are not alone & best of luck in 2014!

Super Contributor

Isn't it nice to see so many people responding to this? I would definitely start with a new hair cut/color and that alone will lead to other gradual changes. Get some friends together one day a week maybe, have a glass of something, discuss your hopes, dreams, expectations etc., and you should see a change in how you feel about yourself. Try something new. Good luck with this and enjoy your transformation. I personally wouldn't join a gym-all those perfect bodies!! But walking, cycling, or whatever you enjoy will set this in motion!!
Super Contributor

My unpopular advice ... count your blessings. Honestly, I think "boredom" is one of God's greatest gifts, because it can all turn to s*** in moments, and you'll wish you could go back to being bored.

Respected Contributor

I'm another one who can relate somewhat to your post. I'm about your age, 43, but my kids are younger, 5 and 8. I've been home with them for 8 years, working on the weekend when my husband is home. Now they're both off to school all day and I feel sluggish and lazy, tired all the time, and I'm gaining weight. Especially this time of year I just hang out in sweatpants and sweatshirts because I hate the cold.

I've wanted to start using my treadmill again, it hasn't been touched in years, but it's so cold in my basement I just can't bear the idea of even going down there for more than a couple of minutes.

I'd love to find another job, but I can't afford a pay cut right now, and I still need to work around my kids' schedules. That doesn't help, I'm unhappy at work and bored at home.

I'll re-read these suggestions and see what I can do to get out of my own rut. Thanks for all the ideas.

Super Contributor

On 1/8/2014 ennui1 said:

My unpopular advice ... count your blessings. Honestly, I think "boredom" is one of God's greatest gifts, because it can all turn to s*** in moments, and you'll wish you could go back to being bored.

Very true.