Super Contributor

I'm embracing my "hot flash hair."

I'll be 55 Saturday and am having terrible hot flashes. I've had naturally curly hair all my life and always wanted straight. I've had it straightened at the salon and usually use heat and a flat iron to straighten it, It's also very thick. Lately, I flash so bad when I go to dry my hair, I can't take the heat. So I've decided to use the cool air setting, scrunch, and embrace my curly/wavy hair. Yesterday, I received more compliments on my hair that I ever have in one day. I'm calling this my hot flash hair style. BTW, seeing my doctor tomorrow. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm embracing my "hot flash hair."

I'm the opposite - i have stick straight hair and I've always wanted curls!  Good luck with the hot flashes. They can be miserable (speaking from experience). 

Trusted Contributor

MercysMom, allow me to greet you an advanced happy birthday 🎂! looks like your hot flashes gave you a gift in disguise. 😊

Honored Contributor

I don't know what to call my hair these days. Seems the older I get , my once-straight hair is now becoming wavy in sections. It's weird so I just blow it all straight to make it look normal. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@MercysMom  Hi. Well, I guess I've had "hot flash hair" all my life. Curls are great if you keep your hair healthy with .

deep moisture masques, silicone free & sulfate free products. Also only wash it 2 or 3 times a week. Use just conditioner in the shower at times you feel it needs refreshing. Great reference book for your new curls: The Curly Girl Method. Air dry or use a diffuser on low heat. Enjoy your curls!! 

Honored Contributor

Hooray for naturally curly hair. If you're used to straight hair and just learning to embrace the curls, you might want to check out NaturallyCurly.com. The forums there were a fabulous resource for me as I learned how to deal with my own hair.

Esteemed Contributor

Such a blessing that you have a thick head of hair.

Super Contributor

@Shanus

I actually do all the things you mentioned and I only wash my hair on Sunday. If it's flat when I wake up, I just give it a spritz of water and fluff them up with my dryer on cool and my diffuser.  It's saving me time in the mornings too!

Super Contributor

@freakygirl

Thank you very much!Heart

Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

I did not know such a website existed. Thank you. I'm going to check it out today.