Occasional Contributor

I'm doing a half-face comparison between two BHA treatments: Paula's Choice and Obagi Clenziderm

For over 4 years I've used Obagi Clenziderm Foaming Cleanser (#1) and Pore Therapy (#2). I don't have acne, but have pores clogged with black and these two products have done wonders for me. (I think I've erroneously called them blackheads, when they truly have no heads - as opposed to white heads that I can pop). I've been out of #2 for a long time and have been using just #1 (cleanser) which was doing a good job, alone - I'd leave it on for a couple of minutes and it worked well in resurfacing the skin. I recently started evaluating Skinn's AM/PM cleansers and my pores are once again clogged. With Skinn I like that my face feels clean, but not dry/taut, however it does nothing to the texture of my skin like Clenziderm does (but Clenziderm does leave me feeling a little tight, not dry).

Because of all the positive comments on Paual's Choice, I decided to try that BHA. I will be doing a side by side comparison for a few weeks and will post again when I notice a change or after a significant amount of time has elapsed.

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant ingredients:

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent)

Obagi Clenziderm Pore Therapy ingredients:

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Benzalkonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol, Ethoxydiglycol, Fragrance, Glycerin, Menthol, Menthyl Lactate, Menthoxypropanediol, SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denat.), Ext. Violet 2, Water

Last night was my first time using them side by side.

My PM observations:

- Both contained a lot of dark matter on the cotton balls when done. Beause my skin was clean (used a Sonicare) and hadn't had on makeup, the brown I saw was from deep within and/or maybe even some exfoliated, hyperpigmented skin.

- Once both sides dried the Obagi side felt clean and smooth, but not taut, while the Paula's side felt slippery, like it had a film over it (similar to what I feel after using a primer that has cones). I was concerned that this would keep my serums from penetrating, but both sides felt the same after the serums were applied.

- I felt a cooling sensation on the Obagi side and it lasted for quite awhile, even after applying the serums and moisturizer; this is due to the menthol.

This morning I used both again.

I normally use an AHA product at night, but since I used the BHA last night I decided to try the BHA in the morning so that tonight I can resume use of AHA. I really don't know the best time of day to use them, so if anyone has something to add, I'd appreciate the info. I also don't mind using both AHA and BHA in the AM and the PM, but because I heard they shouldn't be used together I don't know if I can wait a few minutes to apply the other or if I should do only one at different times in the day. In the past, when I was using both Clenziderm and MD Forte Facial Lotion III (AHA serum), I applied both twice a day. I experienced no negative reactions, but it's possible I was also missing out on some of the benefits of each, being they were used together.

My AM observations:

- I applied the BHA products, right after cleansing. When I applied Devita C I felt a tingling sensation on the Clenziderm side. So, the menthol in the product is either keeping the pores open and/or opening them more than Paula's. It wasn't uncomfortable, but was clearly noticeable and maybe not a good thing for people with sensitivities.

- The used cotton ball on the Clenziderm side was darker. If that was what I'm guessing is exfoliated, discolored skin, then one could argue that no two sides are hyperpigmented alike. But since the left side of my face is the one nearest the car window, and the side in which I'm using Paula's Choice, I would expect that cotton ball to be darker.

- Using a magnified mirror I looked at both sides of my nose. The pores on the Clenziderm side look a little smaller. Admittedly, I hadn't checked that closely before using the products, so I can't say if there was a size difference prior to using these two products; the pores next to my nose (on my cheeks), look the same on both sides.