Respected Contributor

I got these gorgeous tips with dips nails, and I want them off! Since I couldn't go on my cruise (Covid) and that was the only reason I got them, I can admit these things are driving me nuts. They're not even very long. 
I've scratched my eye, raked a piece of skin off my nose, accidentally poked my dog in the face. It's like I have no perception of where the ends of my fingers are. I can't function normally. Lol
Decades ago I was the queen of long, polished beautiful natural nails. 
Sigh. 
Daughter has rebooked us for a cruise next summer. I'll try again then. 
Meantime, getting these removed and improving my own short nails with creams and strengtheners. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I got these gorgeous tips with dips nails, and I want them off! Since I couldn't go on my cruise (Covid) and that was the only reason I got them, I can admit these things are driving me nuts. They're not even very long. 
I've scratched my eye, raked a piece of skin off my nose, accidentally poked my dog in the face. It's like I have no perception of where the ends of my fingers are. I can't function normally. Lol
Sigh. 
Meantime, getting these removed and improving my own short nails with creams and strengtheners. 

No cruise is worth being uncomfortable or the risk of future injury!   Go with whatever nails you're lucky to have and that you're used to.  Have fun on the cruise.  That's a lot more important than the risk of another scratch, or worse.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother , Oh come on, you're not a beauty failure, maybe manicure mediocrity, but no failure!  Hoping you can enjoy them a little, ie, can't possibly cook or clean! 

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@fairydogmother , Oh come on, you're not a beauty failure, maybe manicure mediocrity, but no failure!  Hoping you can enjoy them a little, ie, can't possibly cook or clean! 

lol now that's funny😁

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother - I'm so glad to hear you and your DD are going to get to go on your cruise next summer!

I have to tell you a funny story. My main "beauty strength" has always been my nails. They grow and seldom break. I have always enjoyed choosing colors and doing them myself, and they usually last at least two weeks if I don't change the color. I cut them down when they get too long for me.  I have never had artificial nails, but people have asked where I get them done.  And I don't wear gloves, but I know I should! 

When I travel I always take my color and my "kit" just in case one chips. When we took DS to college I decided to get gel nails for the first time. I wouldn't have to worry about any maintenance. They were right. They lasted almost a month. But they were long and I felt like something was "on top" of my nails. I couldn't wait to get them off! 

You are most definitely not a beauty failure! None of us are, and if we ever believe we don't know or are doing something wrong, we can always ask @Shanus !   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@fairydogmother - I'm so glad to hear you and your DD are going to get to go on your cruise next summer!

I have to tell you a funny story. My main "beauty strength" has always been my nails. They grow and seldom break. I have always enjoyed choosing colors and doing them myself, and they usually last at least two weeks if I don't change the color. I cut them down when they get too long for me.  I have never had artificial nails, but people have asked where I get them done.  And I don't wear gloves, but I know I should! 

When I travel I always take my color and my "kit" just in case one chips. When we took DS to college I decided to get gel nails for the first time. I wouldn't have to worry about any maintenance. They were right. They lasted almost a month. But they were long and I felt like something was "on top" of my nails. I couldn't wait to get them off! 

You are most definitely not a beauty failure! None of us are, and if we ever believe we don't know or are doing something wrong, we can always ask @Shanus !   Smiley Happy

Hah! Yes exactly. I can "feel" that something is on top of my nails. Weird. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   No one is a "beauty failure"...maybe trying something new...but that's an experiement.

I've had ONE manicure in my entire life. We were on our Phoenix spa vacation and I said "What the heck". I worried the entire 2 weeks that I'd chip the polish, etc. I didn't even have my nails done for mt wedding!!!

I'm lucky that my nails curve under and curve side to side...look like gel nails, also. Women ask me too about where I get my manicures, but my nails are only to the ends of my fingers and polished w/ strenthener. 

I'm sure your nails will recover quickly and never think trying something new and not liking it is failing. Every time we learn a lesson that's experience. There's never anything wrong with knowledge, right?

Honored Contributor

Only one manicure for me too---years and years ago--I am just to rough on my nails or used to be. Then got 5 months of chemo for breast cancer which  completely destroyed my nails and that was 10 years ago--they look horrible still. Small sacrifice I guess!! but still annoying---

Super Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Sigh. 

I'm so sorry. Please don't feel like a failure. Professional manicures, dips, etc. just may not be for everyone! Maybe try a different salon? Not all salons are the same and could offer some suggestions for a different shape or manageable length?? Also, I think QVC has some nice nail gel formulas to treat & strengthen natural nails. Perfect Formula is one brand I know of. I've had great luck with it. Good luck and I'm so happy for your cruise next summer!

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.