Honored Contributor

I'm Finally Making an Appt w/ a Dermatologist

My one and only reason to start tret was for the small skin colored bumps on top of my cheeks.  They come and go.  Yes, I know the tret hasn't had time to work but nothing has ever worked and I'm ready to know what it is and know what a derm would do for it.  My face is flawless except for those stupid bumps (that aren't showing at the moment).  I would be 100% happy with my complexion if these were gone, but, I know my current complexion won't last forever so I am going to continue with the tret. My Dr called in a stronger percentage a few days ago, I just haven't picked it up yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Finally Making an Appt w/ a Dermatologist

It sounds like sebaceous hyperplasia @monicakm . My dermatologist told me it comes from using too many emollient cosmetics or moisturizers. Your skin can topically appear dry but is actually oily and the pores are blocked. I was given a prescription for 15% azaelic acid and after 6 months they are gone. However, not everyone is so lucky according to my doctor. She said she can surgically remove them but there is a possibility of scarring (type 1 diabetics heal slower). I had a few on my forehead.

Hope you are healing well from your knee surgery. 🥰💐

Honored Contributor

I'm confused.  Didn't you talk to a Dermatologist before you got the original prescription for the Tretinoin?  What reason did you give for wanting it?  Since you say your reason for wanting to try Tret was those bumps, didn't that come up in the conversation?

Honored Contributor

No, I talked with a visiting GP and he did not give it to me.  I don't remember if I brought up the bumps or not.  My regular GP was out of the country and called it in for me, I think, before he got home.

Honored Contributor

I'm guessing the flesh-colored bumps are a type of recurring keratosis. Those can come and go.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I googled for images of sebaceous hyperplasia.  I don't think that's what this is but thanks.  This a picture of the ones on the top part of my right cheek.  They're out again lol  This is 40mp shot, cropped and full res.  Can you see them?  They are basically invisible until I add highlight.  This is very brave of me!  I would have sworn I didn't have pores till I took this photo Smiley Surprised

face.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since the bumps come and go be sure to take a up close photo when they come back for your derm appt just in case! 

At least you will get a clear answer on what they are and perhaps another solution.  

Best wishes to you!

Oops just saw your up close photo....good to have and I think everyone has pores just come in different sizes as mine are enlarged from oily acne skin.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank goodness!!! mine don't look anything like the images I pulled up.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

They're "out" in this photo.  They are felt better than they're seen.  Can you see them?

Respected Contributor

@monicakm I think I see a few and they do just blend in with your skin so unless someone is on top of you with a magnifying glass I bet they are not easily seen LOL!

I did fix my earlier post as I had just missed your photo.