Esteemed Contributor

I am 65 and I feel as if I've just given up on makeup these past several months. I am in need of an intervention. I am looking for simplicity in a foundation and blush. I don't wear much eye makeup and I stink when it comes to eyeliner. It's also Arizona where it's hot and dry. Over the counter doesn't seem to work so I'm looking at department stores. I've tried Clinique but kinda burnt out of it. I'm fair skinned

Honored Contributor

Re: I look blah

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I am 65 and I feel as if I've just given up on makeup these past several months. I am in need of an intervention. I am looking for simplicity in a foundation and blush. I don't wear much eye makeup and I stink when it comes to eyeliner. It's also Arizona where it's hot and dry. Over the counter doesn't seem to work so I'm looking at department stores. I've tried Clinique but kinda burnt out of it. I'm fair skinned

@Meowingkitty   When someone says BLAH to me, I first suggest bumping up skincare to include a product that will brighten the complexion like a Vit. C serum in the mornings or exfoliation if you're not already doing that.

You may want to try a primer w/ a bit of illumination before your foundation to further give some "life" to your skin. You know I'm going to recommend Bobbi Brown for foundations. I'm fair and use Porcelain across the board for BB foundations. I use the tinted moisturizer...usually enough coverage for me w/ concealer under eyes and any red areas around my nose. If moving up, I go to the Serum Foundation. It has lots of skincare properties.

When looking for foundations, it's best to stay w/ a dewey look and in a warmer climate like AZ, you can powder the t zone to cut back on shine there, but it's more youthful (hate that word) to keep your cheeks powder free. I use cream blushes: Nars has nice ones in stick form (the famous Orgasm is a favorite), BB Pot Rouge in Powder Pink or Pale Pink or sometimes I just dot my lipstick on my cheeks. 

It's best to have foundations/concealer matched in the store if possible. They can get the undertone correct so the foundation you choose isn't too pink or too yellow. 

Have fun trying some new makeup!

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty we can be our own worst critic.  Are you staying hydrated and getting enough sleep?  I added Tatcha the Rice Polish A463059 in gentle (sensitive skin also) and I really like it.  Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I always look for your upbeat helpful posts. Big fan of a cream blush, a light foundation and a bit of neutral eye makeup.  Mostly Bobbi Brown. I haven't tried her new Jones Road line as yet. 

@Meowingkitty  I wear a little something on my 65 years old (plus) face even if it is just going to the mail box. I am fair/light with combo skin:  California is hot and dry too.I just use Josie Maran argan oil as a prep in summer. Add the Face butter in winter. 

BB stick foundation (Sand) on the red areas and blend well. Sometimes a full face of foundation seems too much. Often mix a little swath of the stick in my palm with a bit of moisturizer to make a mini paste and sponge that over my face, then dot the trouble areas with the stick. 

Pot Rouge (Powder Pink)

Taupe shadow stick

A light dusting of Clinique loose powder if there is breakthrough shine. Lipstick has been the challenge (wearing masks), but I wear a pinky brown shade that BB does so well when I can.  

Let us know what you end up with !!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Give yourself, or go get a great facial! Then start with a great moisturizer, maybe a tinted one. Some concealer. Some blush and bronzer, followed by a curled lash and a bunch of mascara and a swipe of gloss! You can take it further if you want, but hot weather can crush a look quickly, Start small but think great!

Most of all SMILE because you are fabulous!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Shanus ...you are so generous to this forum. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@hicindy2 those were super good ideas and thanks for the images, makes it easy to understand!

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

What is your skincare routine?  To me, that's always the first place to start.  The better your face, the nicer your makeup will look.  Tatcha Rice Wash and Rice Polish is a good start.   NO to bar soap if you're using it.  It's too drying.  

Being in the AZ climate you could use a hydrating foundation with a little "glow" to it.  A blush with some sheen.  Mascara to open up your eyes.  A brown or navy pencil liner under the bottom lashes.  If you don't want to spend much time on eyeshadow, a one and done color.  Some women here use a stick eyeshadow pencil for that.  Colored lipgloss in a bright color.  Dark lipstick makes the lips look smaller and thin.  If you want to brighten your look, find a lipgloss or a lip tint (or both) you like in a fresh bright color.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ   I appreciate all thank yous and am so happy to offer suggestions. Wish you could all come for an appointment.... Fun!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went to the Bobbi Brown display at Dillards and got a concealer, cream blush and foundation. Then I went to Macys and got a foundation, blush and 2 eyeshadows from Chanel. That should last awhile. I had so much stuff on my face when I got home (even though they wiped it off beforehand) I had to wash it and start over. My basic problem was during the past 18 months I just got lazy. I figured why bother when it's only my cats and husband who see me.