Super Contributor

Re: I know some people have said they lose hair with Wen..........

On 10/11/2014 KJPA said:

I think it's mostly an Urban Legend. I'm sure there are some who have had a true reaction because of some ingredient and then some people got scared because they heard about those. Then some were sure the same thing happened to them and the rumor mill really got going. I think there are also people on the Web who make things up just to cause trouble. PLEASE UNDERSTAND I AM SURE THERE ARE SOME WITH A TRUE REACTION but I also believe some are just sitting back laughing at the ruckus they cause.

Essential oils don't clog pores. Just do some research. Besides, oil has been used to cleanse hair and skin for thousands of years.

I have fine hair that is easily weighed down by products. In fact I never even used conditioner at all before Wen. I used nothing but Wen from March until last week and my hair always looked clean and shiny. Last week I got a perm and allowed the salon to use a sulphate free shampoo beforehand. The girls couldn't get over how great my hair looked! I hadn't had it cut for 6 months and even after the perm she couldn't find any damaged ends. She evened up the back and bangs but didn't even need to cut all over! I thought it looked a little frizzy but I knew Wen would fix that Smiley Wink I waited 48 hours and then did a good cleanse and 613 treatment. It looks fantastic. Right now I'm washing it twice a week but I don't think it even needs that. It's definitely NOT greasy. And I'm using the CC as a leave in as well as Wen Styling Cream, Mousse, Glossing Serum, some oil, the Replenishing Treatment Mist, ...... You get the idea. I can put a lot of Wen stuff in my hair and it doesn't get dirty/greasy!

Now about hair loss, I'm cleansing only every three to four days. I don't want to comb/brush my new ringlets and I try to keep my hands out of it. But when I cleanse I have three to four days worth of loose hair that comes out. Of course it looks like a lot but since it's for multiple days it's really not. So keep that in mind depending on your hair type and how much you comb/brush. I think it's normal to lose around 100 per day. I might lose 300 in a cleanse now but none comes out throughout the day.

If you want to try it, give it a fair shot. Follow all the instructions and I bet you love it. If you don't want to use it, I hope you find something you like!

Menthol is a highly irritating ingredient and for me it not only causes hair loss, but also burning, redness, and itching. I didn't have an immediate reaction, but it got worse and worse over time while I was using Wen. I can use other menthol-free conditioners to cleanse my hair with no problem - no hair loss or itching, burning, redness.

Also, while Wen contains essential oils, which as you stated don't clog pores, many of the Wen formulations also contain oils which could be pore clogging, including sweet almond oil and avocado oil.