Frequent Contributor

Re: I just canceled my Sephora Play subscription

Not to be a downer, but I just canceled my Boxy Charm after about 6 months of boxes... I did not use one item I received in that box the entire 6 months.  I now only receive, Sephora Play, the Dermstore box that I can't remember the name of right now and the Allure box.... 

If I would recommend any it would be the Allure box.   The Play and the Dermstore (Beauty Fix ?) are both balancing on a thread right now.... the next boxes will make my decisions. 

I thought it would be fun to receive all those samples but it actually got to be a huge pain. I had tubs of all these samples sitting everywhere... a lot of repeats between the boxes and I was throwing away so much stuff...

I actually have 5 (that is FIVE)  tubes of that Dr. Jarts Exfoliating Pore scrub or whatever that stuff is in the blue tube.... EVERY box sent me that over the past months. That really was the straw that broke it for me.  

Respected Contributor

@Mollyqrwrote:

Not to be a downer, but I just canceled my Boxy Charm after about 6 months of boxes... I did not use one item I received in that box the entire 6 months.  I now only receive, Sephora Play, the Dermstore box that I can't remember the name of right now and the Allure box.... 

If I would recommend any it would be the Allure box.   The Play and the Dermstore (Beauty Fix ?) are both balancing on a thread right now.... the next boxes will make my decisions. 

I thought it would be fun to receive all those samples but it actually got to be a huge pain. I had tubs of all these samples sitting everywhere... a lot of repeats between the boxes and I was throwing away so much stuff...

I actually have 5 (that is FIVE)  tubes of that Dr. Jarts Exfoliating Pore scrub or whatever that stuff is in the blue tube.... EVERY box sent me that over the past months. That really was the straw that broke it for me.  

No worries @Mollyqr!  Boxycharm will be the only subscription I have, so I'm not concerned about duplicates...and I reviewed the contents of the last few months' worth of the BC boxes before I pulled the trigger.  There were several things in every box I would definitely use.  But like you said, if it stops being fun, or I can't use what I'm getting, I will just cancel.  I hope you love the pore scrub? LOL Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I guess I'm a desenter here. I like the box. It only costs $10. per month/box and I've tried a few things that I ended up buying the full sized product. I've given some to my daughter as I know it's stuff she likes and the rest that I haven't wanted I sold on ebay. I enjoy getting the box monthly and look forward to seeing what is in it each month.

Someone said they like the Allure box. What kinds of products are they putting in it and what is the cost of a subscription? Years ago I subscibed to New Beauty's box and they often sent full sized products but I'd never heard of many of the brands. Plus I think it was $28 per month. 

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Respected Contributor

@UMDTerpFan  If you haven't already, you might want to check out mysubscriptionaddiction.com .  This blogger subscribes and reviews a variety of subscription boxes (and not just beauty-related).  

Regarding the Sephora Play boxes, I've been getting them for 2 1/2 years now (I can't believe it's been that long -- I was somehow invited to the "pilot program" when Play first started, and not sure why), and have to say I rarely use anything included anymore. The boxes were great in the very beginning, but I was told that's how many of the beauty subscription boxes start out?  This is my first and only beauty sub box. I still think it's okay for the price $10/month, but there are a lot of repeat items.  I used to kind of look forward to receiving them each month, but now not so much. 

I, also, think many of the items I receive are based off of Brands they see you've ordered from the Sephora site or purchased in-store, which is an issue for me because there are a lot of things I've tried once, and didn't like, yet my boxes seem to always include items from a certain Brand because of it.  Sometimes I think it's even based off of Brands from samples I've chosen with online orders. Sephora has stated they "curate" items based off of your Beauty profile, but that doesn't seem to be the case with what I receive.  

Still subscribing but I really shouldn't be.  Smiley Happy  There are other sub boxes out there I'd like to try, but they are more costly, yet seem to be more interesting.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I like my Play box, but I like the Allure box more. Last months Allure box we got a full size Sunday Riley CEO brightener and in December we got a 25 dollar GC for Baublebar. I will have I have plenty of mini mascara now, but I also can share my items with my daughter. The benefit of the Play box it's customizable unlike the Allure box. 

My next one to try is the selfexpressionrevolution box. Competely customizable by color family and type of product. And it's all indie makeup. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

@jaxs momwrote:

I like my Play box, but I like the Allure box more. Last months Allure box we got a full size Sunday Riley CEO brightener and in December we got a 25 dollar GC for Baublebar. I will have I have plenty of mini mascara now, but I also can share my items with my daughter. The benefit of the Play box it's customizable unlike the Allure box. 

My next one to try is the selfexpressionrevolution box. Competely customizable by color family and type of product. And it's all indie makeup. 

Just received Febs box, and like the full size highlighter from

Cle cosmetics we got this month. It is a cushion highlighter and looks natural, soft. I'm loving it. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't found Sephora Play to adhere to the customizable features. Rarely do I receive items that are related to my Beauty profile.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@I like celerywrote:

I haven't found Sephora Play to adhere to the customizable features. Rarely do I receive items that are related to my Beauty profile.

I do, my foundation colors have always matched and most of the others do. The lip products are somewhat hit and miss for me though

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs momwrote:

@I like celerywrote:

I do, my foundation colors have always matched and most of the others do. The lip products are somewhat hit and miss for me though

Your profile may be more universal.  I often receive items that don't take into account my specific profile selections. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥