Honored Contributor

Re: I just can't blow dry my hair :(

I got some great tips from watching Maria McCool from Calista on her FB page - she had a video a few months ago on blowouts. 

Honored Contributor

I use the blow dryer in one hand and a round brush in the other.  Works for me.  Maybe you should try one of those brush hair dryers.  Shaped like a brush yet it is a blow dryer.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover, I learned something new a few years ago. I was trying to use the brush too soon after I started blow drying my hair. You need to get most of the moisture out before attempting to style it with the brush.

Now I wrap my hair in a towel for about 3 minutes until a lot of the dripping water stops. Then I bring the back to the front and just start blow drying the back first. I move on to the sides and when it is about 80 percent dry, I then start to use the round brush. My hair looks professionally done that way and it always has some style without necessarily needing any further heat treatments like a curling iron to get a style.

Hope that helps..

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been able to blow dry and style my hair at the same time. I have fine hair. What i do is blow it dry and then run a styling wand thru it to smooth it down a bit. It only takes me a few minutes. That's my solution.   

Respected Contributor

I'm actually envious of all you women who like the way their stylist does their hair.  I have the opposite situation.  I have curly, kind of coarse, almost-to-the-shoulder hair.  The strongest curl is the bang section.  I can dry my own hair in about 6 minutes which results in smooth curl, not flat hair.  No matter who does my hair, they all think I want it to be straight so they flatiron it and it looks flat.  Smooth does not mean flat!!  For what it costs me to have color, highlights and a cut, I should walk out of the salon ready to go to the Oscars.  Nope.  Have to fly home to re-do my hair.  I'm always happy with the colors and cuts, just the blowouts are horrible.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback - so many great tips. I really appreciate it. ♥♥♥

I never stopped to consider that the actual blowdryer would have any other effect than to just dry the hair. I'll have to check out that Babybliss blowdryer. 

Honored Contributor

You're not alone!

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLoverWith that type of style, I would blow-dry then use a flat iron to smooth.

Super Contributor

I tnink this is probably terrible but it works great for me!

I towel dry, then comb it, then just blow the worst of the water out of it. Then I flip my head over and blow it mostly dry, upside down. It takes maybe 2 minutes. Then I flip it back over and do a quick once over again. Usually I have to blow the back more.i have a chin length bob with thick hair. 

Then I put my makeup on. Once that’s done, my hair is about 95% dry. I comb it, and then smooth it with the flat iron. Flipping it over gives volume and the flat iron smooths, and it’s fast. Done this for years. 

Respected Contributor

I start upside down too--even my stylist has me do that in the salon.