Honored Contributor

Re: I have never found the perfect nighttime moisturizer.

@Squirrel Lover   I guess everyone knew I'd have an opinion here. Lol. If you use any other products with active ingredients, anti-aging ones like Retin A, Retinols, Vit. C, any acids in lotions, pads or toners, you'll want a more gentle moisturizer w/o additional acids or retinols...unless your skin has become accustomed to them over a period of time. It would be overkill. Your skin could become dry and reactive.

On the other hand, if you're not into anti-aging products yet, then you may want to begin adding that in your night time moisturizer. I have used one (in a jar) by Skinsceuticals for many years called Renew Overnight Dry (for normal/dry skin). It has a blend of hydroxy acids and gently exfoliates. I alternate this with my Retin A. If I find my skin getting too dry (usually only in winter), I back off the Retin A a night or two and substitute with this moisturizer. There are nights when my skin seems irritated from too much exfoliation and I go to sleep with nothing on my skin and just let it breathe or use my more gentle day moisturizer. 

I think you need several alternatives because your skin changes from day to day and requires different treatments. For example, there are days I don't apply Vit. C in the morning because I notice drying/peeling around my nose. Your skin will tell you what it needs and when to back off exfoliation or harsh products. Just keep checking it in your mirror and apply your products accordingly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover   I actually fell in love with Mario Badescu products.  He has an array of moisturizers and many oil free.  I started using this lightweight moisturizer at bedtime.  A.H.A. & Ceramide moisturizer w/lemon. His products are excellent and they are reasonably priced.  I love the lotion because you only need a teeny, tiny amount because it spreads so easily across the skin and my skin feels so hydrated.   I am not believer in spending $$$ for skincare.  Mario is from Europe and in Europe many, many years ago, they were using essential oils for health reasons and way ahead of us in America.

MARIO BADESCU A.H.A. & Ceramide Moisturizer, Main, color, NO COLOR

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

I am not believer in spending $$$ for skincare

Um, I wasn't either till I actually spent good money on skincare and found that you DO get what you pay for.  Now, that's pretty much been my motto with most anything you buy but I just wasn't in the position to spend $100 on "wrinkle cream"!  I don't think I can ever go back after using the Tatcha moisturiziers...and rice face wash and rice polish.  "Hello, my name is Monica and I'm a Tatcha addict" Smiley Surprised 

Trusted Contributor

I found a website called skinskoolbeauty.com where you can search for dupes for any number of products and it lists the dupes in order of their ingredient matching.  

I plugged in Josie's Argan Milk, for instance, as I use it faithfully every morning and the closest match was a product that only had a bit more than 50% of the same ingredients and was more expensive.  So I guess I'm sticking with the Milk! Some products you can find a match with over 80% of the ingredients for a lesser price.  

I've been playing around with it and it's pretty cool.  

Respected Contributor

I am going to be 71 in a few weeks with dry skin and have many favorties. Wen Ultra Noursihing Body Cream makes a great face cream. Josie's Sleeping Nectar is another one of my favorites. I also like to use her regular Divine Drip or her body butter on my face. Beekman makes a night cream called Blaak. It's another beautiful night time cream. Skinn  Pep40 Cream is great for the colder months. I actually can use it anytime of the year. 

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor 

I think you are the first one on this thread to mention Skinn. I've never tried that Pep40 but I have tried the Collagenesis DWP cream and that's a good product, too. When my skin is really dry, like in the winter, I like to use the Collagenisis DWP Body Butter...it's very thick and rich.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Tricolor 

I think you are the first one on this thread to mention Skinn. I've never tried that Pep40 but I have tried the Collagenesis DWP cream and that's a good product, too. When my skin is really dry, like in the winter, I like to use the Collagenisis DWP Body Butter...it's very thick and rich.

I have that Collagenesis night cream too and I love it   It's not overly heavy. The matching serum has really improved my skin.  It's potent but not irritating.  Never tried the body butter, didn't even know it existed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite PM moisturizers are:

Skinn Luminous Oil 

Mad Hippie Face Cream

CeraVe PM

Tweak’d All Purpose Face & Body Cream

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx 

It's this body butter. I sometimes use it on my face and neck. A little goes a long way. I love it:

https://www.hsn.com/products/skinn-cosmetics-collagenesis-deep-wrinkle-protocol-body/10079896?query=...

@Squirrel Lover 

That butter is luxuriously rich and heavenly on the skin.

Super Contributor

Hello @Squirrel Lover (I love your nic, I also love squirrels!).  I'm 46 with mostly good skin, now.  I had to stop all skin care a year ago and build back up product by product to get my previously moody complexion back on track.  During that process I gave up many products that I thought I loved, as others did.  I spent a good amount of time researching and ingredients. 

While I am no expert for every one, I do feel pretty confident about my choices now.  I have had great success with Murad products.  One product that makes a huge impression on me is the Night Fix Enzyme Treatment.  I use it every couple of nights and I am always amazed in the morning, my skin feels just as smooth and firm as when I applied it the night before.  It does seem to have a refreshing effect on me.  I do pair it with their Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture, but the impressive results are exclusive to the Night Fix.  They are pricey so I try to find deals on eBay.

Best of luck in your search Smiley Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~