Respected Contributor

I have a couple of questions about tightlining

well, i finally saw a brief utube video on this, and i was completely wrong about what this is. 

so my question is 

A. is a soft eyeliner pencil the prefered delivery method?

B. do you try to cover all of the waterline, or just under the lash area?

C. is it still called tightlining when you do the bottom line.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: I have a couple of questions about tightlining

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo wrote:

well, i finally saw a brief utube video on this, and i was completely wrong about what this is. 

so my question is 

TIA

@kittyloo- My impression of tightlining is getting your liner right at the base of where the lashes grow out and then right underneath that line.  However, no one is obligated to do both if they don't want to.  The benefit of doing both is that it makes your eye lashes look thicker.  It also uses less lid space to accomplish the look.  It essentially the same for the botton.  I personally don't care for it on the bottom, I think too much liner on the bottom closes the eye. If I wanted to line the bottom, I would do the very thin line as the lash base.  I use either a soft pencil or a small, flat liner brush with powdered eyeshadow.  It helps to prevent shadow fallout if you slightly moisten the brush before touching it to the shadow.

Respected Contributor

I believe the term for the bottom is waterline 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo

For top line tight lining - I use cream eyeliner (I use doll 10) and an  inexpensive silicone liner brush by real  techniques with very good results .

for extra staying power once it sets I go over it it with a matching eyeshadow on a very thin silicone eyeliner slanted brush by the same company ( Real techniques ) .

Honored Contributor

Tightline - applying liner closest to the eyeball and not to be applied above upper lashes or below bottom lashes, staying closest to the eye...that's why it's call 'tight'. Application can include waterlines but not always.

Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo--------I think, if you have small eyes, tightlining makes them even smaller.  I have little squinty eyes and if I line them I look to be sleeping.

Honored Contributor

Actually, I have small round eyes and I like tightlining the bottom lashes a lot better than trying to line below them.  Usually, I just go right at the lash line, but sometimes actually do the waterline, but I only have one liner that works for that.  Going underneath the lashes, no matter how close, tends to loo like racoon eyes.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

so my question is 

TIA

A) Laura Mercier made tightlining popular and used a cake eyeliner and a flat brush. Using a gel liner was really popular, as well. Others use pencil and no brush. I've used a liquid liner. The preferred delivery method is the one you prefer. 

B) It was meant for just the lashes and not the waterline, but some people include the waterline. It's meant to fill in the gaps between lashes, making them appear thicker and like you're not wearing liner, you just have thick lashes. If I get it on my waterline, it transfers to my bottom lash line and smudges, so I avoid my waterline.

C) Tightlining is the name of the technique of filling in between the lashes, so if you use it on your lower lashes, I think you'd still call it tightlining. I don't bother with my lower lashes. My goal is to make it look as natural as possible and my lower lashes are sparser, so it looks much more obvious there.

Here's my favorite tightlining tutorial: https://www.thecut.com/2013/11/gif-tutorial-how-to-tightline-your-eyes.html