Respected Contributor

I have a SERIOUS Problem. Anyone else do this?

I realize some people have so-called "addictions"; clothes, soaps, lipsticks, perfumes, food, etc.. Mine is HAIR CONDITIONERS.

Three years ago, I posted here that I had over 40 conditioners, and I'd finally cleaned out my closet and thrown all of them away, except a few "high-end" ones. Here it is 3 years later and I now have a collection of over 30 NEW conditioners. This is SICK! I think I need help! Or ... Is this normal?

And what's worse is, if I force myself NOT to buy a hair conditioner, then INSTEAD, I buy face masks, and not the cheap drugstore brands.

Is this my personal "mid-life" crisis @ age 60+?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

Re: I have a SERIOUS Problem. Anyone else do this?

Well, I have too much makeup, so I am not much help. A few years ago, I realized I had way too many fragrances, so I stopped buying and used up most of what I had (I did give a few away). I found it easier to use one at a time, then when that one was finished move on to another bottle, then so forth. I was able to pare down my fragrances significantly (I don't think I had 30 though).

Respected Contributor

What are you doing? Just using one once then not liking it & buying a new one & never throwing out the ones you don't like? I'm sure not qualified to analyze why you're doing that, but if you think it's a problem then maybe you should find professional guidance. I know I have my own idiosyncracies - buying kitchen appliances & gadgets that I use a few times then forget about. A couple of times a year I have to purge these things & give to charity, but I don't think I've ever amassed such a large quantity as you have. Good luck with that!

Honored Contributor

No, I wouldn't think it is "normal" per se. Why do you keep buying more-just for variety or??

Contributor

We all do it to some extent. I tend to with lipsticks, glosses & kitchen stuff. The kitchen stuff you can give away. Which brings me to, you can give away your hair conditioners to Battered women shelters, as well as other shelter. Smiley Happy Don't be too hard on yourself, give them away and feel good that someone could use them. OH YEAH, I also buy wayyyyyyyy too much fabric, I am a quilter, I love to make bags. lol

Trusted Contributor

Compulsive behaviors take many forms -- shopping, eating, micromanaging others, re-checking things. Yours is buying hair conditioners and/or beauty products. If this really bothers you, you could see a counselor to work on changing your behavior and to figure out what anxieties or emotions you're trying to mask or numb with compulsive shopping.

Respected Contributor

On 5/2/2014 HappyDaze said:

No, I wouldn't think it is "normal" per se. Why do you keep buying more-just for variety or??

Do you remember Imelda Marcos? She had the same problem with SHOES. She never saw a pair of shoes she didn't want. She had over 1,000 pairs of shoes. BUT! She was rich! I am not!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I tend to do this too. I have many collections of things now at age 44. Shoes, Handbags, makeup, hair products and newest is Scented candles. I just tend to go over board when i find something I really like. I have lots of clothes too!

Trusted Contributor

One thing that might help is to make a list of "wants" that you would like to buy, and pull it out anytime you're tempted to buy another bottle of conditioner. The money you save by not buying that conditioner can go toward something on your "wants" list.

Super Contributor

I am a person who HATES running out of anything I use on a regular basis. Now, my husband will come out of the shower with his empty shampoo bottle and say he needs more... with him he uses it up and goes and buys another bottle... where I would just go to my cupboard and would have two back ups( or three)! I have a favorite seasoning I order on line and I order 12 bottles at a time... it lasts for 6 months, but I never want to even think about running out. I pretty much do this with everything... I have a fear of running out of things I love.. and I did not grow up poor or anything. I do not know why my brain works this way... I also have more shampoo and conditioner than I could ever use up in 10 years. My hair is super short and I hardly need any!{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I think a lot of us on these boards probably share similar issues in having too much beauty, clothes or whatever... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}