Valued Contributor

I guess I"ve damaged the skin barrier on my face........

[ Edited ]

I'm prone to seborrah dermatitis and it usually flares up if I start switching around on skincare products. I've used the same line for several months with no problems. I ordered a clinique cleanser for very dry skin and first time I used it, my face ended up with red flaky areas. I had been  using the exact same product until it was gone with no problems. So I thought maybe they had changed the formula so I used  another cleanser that I've used in the past and same thing happened.

Tonight I used cetaphil and clinique DDML and my face feels a little calmer.

I'll call a derm on Monday but wondered if this had happened to anyone else and what I can do until I get in to the Dr.

I"m starting to wonder if I just won't be able to use any anti-aging productsat all after this clears up because my skin is so sensitive.

Honored Contributor

Re: I guess I"ve damaged the skin barrier on my face........

Have you tried Cera Ve? I love it for keeping a good moisture barrier on my skin. Multi Lamellar technology and ceramides help with the skin barrier. Maybe ask your derm about it. I have had reactions to Clinique moisturizers in the past, so I wouldn't recommend that brand to anyone with sensitivities.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Atopalm and Cerave are my rescue products when I've damaged my skin barrier.  I use them almost daily at some point in my routine for prevention and comfort.  Atopalm is Dr. Leslie Baumann's favorite product for feeding and repairing the skin barrier.  It's her last step every night after her actives.  Cerave is a second best to Atopalm as far as containing ceramides (the ingredient that repairs your barrier).  There are other products that contain ceramides, these are the top two I've found that give immediate comfort and lasting results.

Cerave is avalable at WalMart, CVS, etc., so you should be able to get your hands on that fast if you want some quick relief.  Ulta does sell Atopalm if you have one nearby;  otherwise you'd have to order it on-line and wait to get it.  It's reasonably priced - about $30 for the 3.4 oz. jar.

If you are interested in Dermatolist recommended products for sensitve skin, you don't even have to buy Dr. Baumann's book anymore - most of the content is on her website skintypesolutions.com.  You can take the quick test, and then you are directed to lists of products to solve your particular issue.  She gives her recommended products ranging from $ to $$$$ to fit your particular budget.

Honored Contributor

My dermatologist told me to use Cetaphil for the approx twenty years my cystic acne was active.  It does great and has usually been the number one wash reccommended by Allure magazine readers.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I had forgotten about Atopalm, I used it a few years ago. I do have the ceraveve cleanser.

I'll check out the website that was suggested also.,

Valued Contributor

wanted to add that I've used cetaphil for years to take off eye makeup and it works great for that, just didn't use it on my face.

Frequent Contributor

I have had terrible luck with clinique products.  They caused a similar reaction in my skin that you are experiencing.  Cerave works well, and I also have had luck with the tatcha camellia cleansing oil.  Good luck!   My derm has told me that clinique products are actually quite harsh and she doesn't recommend them.

Respected Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

I'm prone to seborrah dermatitis and it usually flares up if I start switching around on skincare products. I've used the same line for several months with no problems. I ordered a clinique cleanser for very dry skin and first time I used it, my face ended up with red flaky areas. I had been  using the exact same product until it was gone with no problems. So I thought maybe they had changed the formula so I used  another cleanser that I've used in the past and same thing happened.

Tonight I used cetaphil and clinique DDML and my face feels a little calmer.

I'll call a derm on Monday but wondered if this had happened to anyone else and what I can do until I get in to the Dr.

I"m starting to wonder if I just won't be able to use any anti-aging productsat all after this clears up because my skin is so sensitive.

I have Seborrah Eczema on my face and body.  Mine flares when I have moisture or sweat next to my skin, so I break out where my watch is and where my knee brace is or when I'm doing work outside and sweating in the summer.  RIght now I'm still battling my summer outbreak from my knee brace and work not having A/C this summer. It is getting better, but slowly because I still have to wear the knee brace when I'm out and about.  I take it off when I get home to let the skin breath.  

Your skin could be inflamed due to many factors not just switching cleaners.  The weather could play a major role as does your stress level.  I use olive oil, Medicine Mama's cream, Eucerine cream in the tub, and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter to keep mine moisturized, but while in the shower I go over it with my Foreo Luna dupe or Clarisonic Body brush.  I then rub down with olive oil when it is still a bit damp from the shower and the pores are open to get a good layer of moisture.  You may even want to try to use olive oil and lavender essential oil or chamomile essential oil to calm the skin.  I try not to use the steroid creams the doc gave me for them because they thin the skin and steroids are good for anything in the body.

Valued Contributor

I did this one time with retinol. I used PC Recovery system and Aquaphor. It saved my face. I highly recommend!
Honored Contributor

You could try applying milk soaked cloths on your face to sooth the skin.