Honored Contributor

Re: I got that dreaded QVC letter people have talked about.

lots of somewhat "compelling" reasons for QVC's "slew" of letters, but overall....I'm still not buying it.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Fabby said:

All three shopping channels unload unopened beauty items on the likes of TJMAXX, Marshalls, Homegoods, Ross…About 2 months after a big beauty TSV they start filtering into those stores, probably others as well. I once heard a vendor talking about the need to keep their returns rates low or out the door they go. I think it was the Linea man.

I buy all my Korres & Olivera products at Ross.

Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 winamac1 said:

lots of somewhat "compelling" reasons for QVC's "slew" of letters, but overall....I'm still not buying it.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

you're not buying what? The excuses from those that got the letter? Or the actual reasons behind why QVC sends out the letters?

Honored Contributor

I buy very little from QVC anymore and have returned a few things....but if I ever got a letter like that from any company I had purchased from, it would be the last time I would ever order from them.

They have a lot of nerve complaining about returns when the customer bears the cost of return shipping. If you go to your account or order status online, I think it tells you what you have purchased and what you returned. I guess you could monitor it that way but you have to know what their limit is.

Is there a magic number you are to avoid as to % of returns vs purchased? I think inconsistent sizing and poor quality are justifiable reasons you may need to send something back but it is an even better reason to just stop buying from them at all. No purchases= no returns.

As overpriced as they are, QVC could well afford to have free shipping and free returns but they must have out of control overhead costs to charge what they do. The flat rate shipping they had briefly was good and drew lots of positive comments; clearly they aren't interested in what customers want.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Clover29 said:
On 7/20/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/20/2014 happy housewife said:

No matter how much you all want to whine about the returns letter the fact is that QVC has to protect itself from the chronic abusers of the return policy. The ones who use items for 30 days then return them used so they can't be resold, or the ones who use a beauty product halfway empty then return it for a full refund. All this costs QVC money and they have the means now a days with everything computerized to track it and know who their chronic abusers are. And those abusers are just mad because they have been caught. Then add on top of that the amount of people who are just not able to control the urge to shop and then get tons of stuff they don't really want so they return it, I can't see that QVC has any choice except to take action to prevent this abuse of the policy.

But why punish people who make a legitimate return or a legitimate cancellation?

Is that actually happening? One legitimate return, a couple of legitimate cancellations aren't what "the letter" is about. I don't believe legitimate returns and cancellations are a problem, or QVC wouldn't advertise their "anything for any reason" 30 day return policy. "The letter" is sent to people whose returns are excessive or hinky. Or whose cancellations are beyond what most of us would call normal.

they need to define what "normal" is for returns; why keep it a secret....we need full disclosure. a 30 day return policy is pretty crummy anyway; it says whatever you buy will last for 30 days and after that , you are out of luck.

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Clover29 said:
On 7/20/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/20/2014 happy housewife said:

No matter how much you all want to whine about the returns letter the fact is that QVC has to protect itself from the chronic abusers of the return policy. The ones who use items for 30 days then return them used so they can't be resold, or the ones who use a beauty product halfway empty then return it for a full refund. All this costs QVC money and they have the means now a days with everything computerized to track it and know who their chronic abusers are. And those abusers are just mad because they have been caught. Then add on top of that the amount of people who are just not able to control the urge to shop and then get tons of stuff they don't really want so they return it, I can't see that QVC has any choice except to take action to prevent this abuse of the policy.

But why punish people who make a legitimate return or a legitimate cancellation?

Is that actually happening? One legitimate return, a couple of legitimate cancellations aren't what "the letter" is about. I don't believe legitimate returns and cancellations are a problem, or QVC wouldn't advertise their "anything for any reason" 30 day return policy. "The letter" is sent to people whose returns are excessive or hinky. Or whose cancellations are beyond what most of us would call normal.

Customer Service advised me if you return 40% of what you purchase in a 6 month period. Not sure tho

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 FLsunlover said:
On 7/11/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/11/2014 Clover29 said:
On 7/11/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/11/2014 Irishrose136 said:

I'm trying to think back to items I've returned. Yes, there was a pair of shoes that ran too large. But actually, my returns were for things I didn't like once I saw them in person - didn't like the color, purse too large, too small, cheap zippers. Nothing was defective.

C'mon people. I'm not different from other people. The great MAJORITY of our returns are buyer's-remorse, don't like it as much as I thought and wow! I spent too much so something has to go back.

Any of that even remotely familiar? Or are we gonna stick with I had a perfectly legit reason for each & every return????? Bad QVC! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

With all due respect, it's a little unfair to think that it's always the customers fault and QVC is blameless.

Now, it's not always QVC's fault, true. But it's not always the customer's fault, either. I think some people may really have had legit reasons several times to return something, even if the cost wasn't great. Maybe something didn't fit right, maybe something broke within a few days or a week, maybe something smells funny (like those handbags, G.I.L.I Roma's I think get that quite a bit. There's also complaints about some of those bags having paint stains on them), maybe they're allergic to a beauty product and so on.

Those people are not the ones getting "the letter". QVC can see who has returned several items because they broke or smelled funny, and who is ordering a shirt in every color and then returning all but one of them, over and over again. Or who orders expensive jewelry items and returns all of them, having obviously worn them for an event and considered the $6.95 return charge some kind of rental fee.

Well, yes. There are people who carelessly take advantage of QVC's 30 day return policy, so naturally they should get the warning letter that says, "you're overdoing it." But I think (and I say I think because I'm only half sure) someone on this board once said that they returned a lot of things because it just didn't work for them, a legitimate reason, and they still got the warning letter from QVC.

If I had to return 40% or more of what I bought from any one place, even legitimately, I would stop shopping there sooner than later! I can't imagine the expense and hassle of returning that much stuff. Also--what's their definition of legitimate?

I have been asking for years for QVC to put a scroll to zoom option on the pages so you can see the fabric and other details before ordering; I know it would really cut down on returns.