Respected Contributor

I found a lasting nail polish!

I have tried many brands nail polishes and rarely have one that doesnt start chipping in three days. Counted 10  brands off the top of my head I have tried. I was told I have porous nails. I make sure no oils on nails and use a good Orly or OPI base and top coats. 

I tried" Sally Hanson Color Therapy Argon Formula "about $7.00. I am traditional in color choices. Wal-Mart had it. It is not chipping for me. I had to share this find as just used clear polish as too frustrating for years to not have a manicure ever last a week.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I found a lasting nail polish!

Thank you for sharing.  I love the look of pretty kept up nails, always use to have gel manicures until the craziness of Covid.  I have to say though, even though I returned to the salon when they reopened I realized I was spending too much money.  The prices really increased so I finally started doing my own and while they are not perfection, they look pretty darn good and all it costs me is my time.......I am slow at it!   

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf  Thanks for the rec.  Was just looking at my nails...did them Friday with OPI --today the ends of nails are all chipped.  Granted my hands get a workout but come on.  I thought a more expensive polish might last, it doesn't. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I have also found using gloves to wash the dishes and using food safe gloves during food prep help a lot.

That way, I'm not constantly washing my hands.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the recommend on a good nail polish.

I still like getting a pedicure occasionally, (I do them in between), because they do them better than I can. But I haven't been back since before Covid, yet.

However, I stopped getting manicures years ago. Like you say, first of all, the nail polish (not gel...never got into that), would hardly last the week. And I'm careful...use rubber gloves to do dishes etc. Also, they seldom ever filed my nails as I really liked them or shaped them as well as I do.

I get compliments on my nails often, and I do them myself...usually with a sheer pink, natural, pearl or "Perfect Nails" clear. I file them in a soft, squared off shape, as that looks best with my nail bed shape and hands. Not too long either...midway. I cut them shorter about once a month and refile, then let them grow out again for a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

i think a lot of it has to do with how strong your nails are, mine are quite strong and my polish lasts a long time, also wear gloves for most chores and when in water. A good tip is to wear gloves when washing your hair, that can wreak havoc on nail polish. 

Super Contributor

I agree.  Also a plastic shampoo brush helps keep my nail polish from wear.

Honored Contributor

Chipping colored polish is one reason I stay with a good, clear nail strenghtening polish....Sally Hansen Hard As Nails...an original. 

If I want to spiffy it up on weekends, I have a bottle that I added a few drops of pale pink to and shake it up for an almost polished look, but still has the strengthening benefits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great suggestion @Gorgf . Next time I am in CVS, I will look for it.

I resorted to using Chanel nail polish, as it chips in 6 or 7 days.

Honored Contributor

I bought a  6 pc Nails Inc kit from HSN on clearance, colors are beautiful and the polish stays on great. has a white, some pinks and a deeper berry, all are quite wearable.