Esteemed Contributor

Re: I finally did it -- not before I stressed for months -- QUIT my "new" hairdresser

@homedecor1   That's why I cut and color my own hair! 
 I've had enough of moody, preoccupied stylists. one answered the phone all the time then couldn't remember where she left off cutting. 
  Another gave me a permanent when the one I made an appointment with didn't show up. Then she left me processing with a timer that rang while she went on a motorcycle ride! 
  The last one I went to over processed and my hair was burned. 
   My friend who was a hairdresser cut it and said I don't need perms. She showed me how to cut it and I've been doing it for 20 years!

It's stress free and I save a lot of 💰 💵 

Honored Contributor

Re: I finally did it -- not before I stressed for months -- QUIT my "new" hairdresser

OH lordy--do I know what OP went thru---had a hairdresser for 15+ years that I went to, that KNEW my hair better than me--never got a bad cut and ALWAYS did a great coloring. but she got carpel tunnel and then had surgery and then never returned.  So it took me 2/3 years and 6 hairdressers to find my new girl---can't tell you how many wretched cuts I got and paying $50 a pop made me sick!!!  Now my hairdresser is fabulous--has been in the biz for 35 years, owns her salon and been at the same place for all that time- don't color my hair anymore but from the way her hair looks, she is probably excellent at that too!! 

Contributor

I have gone to the same hairdresser for 22 years and every time I go in lately, I feel I am rushed thru.  I get a foil highlight, cut, shampoo and dry which has Gone up to $180, which I feel is outrageous.  The hairdresser is always on the phone or takes too many appointments.  At 68 I am tired of spending money on my hair and ready to go gray, and only go in for a cut.  This lady owns the shop, and I have no qualms about saving money.  Maybe she should consider a customers point of view and take more time for this price.

Respected Contributor

Don't understand putting up with lousy service.  I rarely go to hairdressers, but when I do it's with a friend in the business.  I do my own hair and get compliments.  I laugh when they ask who does my hair.  Even my friend says she can't do much better.  I cut it and do color with highlights.  It's really not too big a deal, and better than having to go for an appointment.  Just takes a little practice. 

Honored Contributor

@MomCat 

Lucky you!!!!

I would never attempt to do my own hair ...but when I'm paying a "professional" & it's over $150 for h/c, color & 6 foils (and tip)  -- I draw the line especially when it's terrible job.  I knew this appt was coming up -- so I needed to stop being "stressed" about leaving her.

I can't even imagine trying to cut & crop my own hair...not a skill I care to learn or try😉...

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers 

As I said to @MomCat @I couldn't even imagine cutting, coloring, etc. my hair...

I have friends who color their hair and it looks OK but me I tried once many years ago  -- box color was pretty but looked like ****** on me🤔😳.  I vowed never to make this mistake again😉

Honored Contributor

Would never in a million years try to cut my own hair---and for coloring--nope, haven't done any color in the last 10 years. Have a few horror stories from box color and will not do that again. and when I was doing all that at a salon--I was paying $75 for cut ,coloring and style---back in the olden days, of course. now I pay $37.50 every 2 months and am very happy with that.

Frequent Contributor

I would never go to another hairdresser in the same salon! That’s savage!! Lol! It’s so hard finding a new one. I was trying to find someone closer to home the last few years and despite checking Yelp and reviews, had some really bad experiences.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't trust myself to try and cut my own hair.

I will color it though.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.