Respected Contributor

I don’t understand beauty product reviews......

When one buys a beauty product uses it for about a week and then posts a negative review saying the product doesn’t do what it says (ie. diminishing fine lines and deep wrinkles, tightening the neck.) no beauty product can do that in a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Some products take several months before actually seeing results. I really think that they need to change the time that a person can post a review to at least a 30 days past the day you bought the product. (skin care) With HSN you can’t post a review until after 5 days. When you read the reviews for the BeautyBio R45 system, a system that you have to use for at least 45 days. People post a negative after just using for a few weeks.😱🤷🏻‍♀️
Honored Contributor

Re: I don’t understand beauty product reviews......

Also they should allow for posting updates.

Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
When one buys a beauty product uses it for about a week and then posts a negative review saying the product doesn’t do what it says (ie. diminishing fine lines and deep wrinkles, tightening the neck.) no beauty product can do that in a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Some products take several months before actually seeing results. I really think that they need to change the time that a person can post a review to at least a 30 days past the day you bought the product. (skin care) With HSN you can’t post a review until after 5 days. When you read the reviews for the BeautyBio R45 system, a system that you have to use for at least 45 days. People post a negative after just using for a few weeks.😱🤷🏻‍♀️

@Naturesbeauty   It doesn't matter if it's a week or 6 months. Skincare (topical creams or lotions) will never take away deep wrinkles and firm/tighten the neck. Cosmetic surgeons would be out of business if any lifting and firming creams actually worked. It's all hype. There is nothing that can stop signs of aging except surgical procedures. I know that's frustrating and so many women buy into the sales' pitches for products. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Also they should allow for posting updates.

@Pook   LOve that idea!

Honored Contributor

I don't understand a lot of reviews across the board.  LOL 

However, I think some immediate reviews of skincare products can be valid.  If the product has a particular offensive, off putting or perfume smell and you can't use it, if it breaks your skin out and you are sending it back, if the product doesn't last as long as they say it will.  

And there are some products that claim you will see immediate results.  I was watching HSN a couple weeks ago and they were selling a Korres Meno-Reverse moisturizer and claiming that it had immediate benefits.  If one expencting that, didn't see it and is choosing not to continue using the product to see if there are cumulative benefits, I don't see anything wrong with a review.   

Respected Contributor

I think there should be better standards for posting a review. There are so many ridiculous reviews that don't even pertain to the product. One that comes to mind is the Clarisonic Firming Massage Brush Head that's to be used with Smart Clarisonic. It clearlystates that you must use a Smart Clarisonic. There is a review on Sephora's website giving this a poor review because it did not fit on her regular Clarisonic. I have seen negative reviews that did not pertain to the performance of the product being reviewed. 

Honored Contributor

Those are the people that have unrealistic expectations and want instant gratification.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

It would take a lot of work to go through every beauty product to determine which should have a 30 day waiting period. They don't want to discourage product reviews. Most businesses want customer reviews. I assume they drive sales. Putting a 30 day ban on reviews would cause a lot of buyers to forget or not bother.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You only see immediate benefits from skincare under certain circumstances:

• If you haven't moisturized in a week or longer--which is what they try to have models do in the before pictures, then you will look more moisturized right away when you put on a cream.

• If you've never exfoliated before, or haven't done so in ages, your skin will look much better the very first time you do it. Less so as you maintain it. So if you already exfoliate or mositurize regularly, you simply can't ever see the same dramatic effect that a newbie can.

• There's a film former tightener ingredient in the product. You may see your skin tautened a bit when it dries. And that's what those eye tightener products do.

• There's a brightener or cosmetic ingredient in the product. You'll see the immediate results of the colorant or mica or brightener. Just like if you put on makeup.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr