Esteemed Contributor

Re: I did it! I cut my own hair today

My hair is mid back length and untreated.  It is thick, a little wavy, not colored and I don't use hot rollers or curling iron.there It's been September once I had a stylist. I have been trimming an inch or so off bottom as needed and so far, great!  I just ordered "geniune "hair cutting shears because I may not go to any salon this year.  Next cut I'm going to do light, long layers around my face; watched a u tube on this and I'm sure I can do this!

Esteemed Contributor

Happy for you, @Desert Lily !

My hair is forgiving like that, too. And I recently trimmed about a half-inch off my own layered, above shoulder bob. Came out pretty nice! I can tell when I don't have to make adjustments afterward. 

Respected Contributor

I've been cutting it myself for a long time. Once you know basics, and if you don't want a fancy, detailed style, it's easy-  

And yesterday, I colored my grays, used Garnier Olio, medium golden brown, and I love it!  But I hope it holds and grays don't come back quickly. I have super dry, porous hair-  Yay DIY-ers!

Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, @Desert Lily, that sounds like a lot of work and patience.  Congratulations on your success!   I'm afraid to cut any serious layers.  You're much braver than I am.  I've just let my pixie cut grow out, except for snipping at the 'bangs' to keep them out of my eyes.  I currently have a modified "Chris Cagney" look, back flips et. al  -- which really isn't bad.  It's how I used to wear my hair decades ago.  I miss my easy pixie.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  Good for u! I also have cut my own hair & surprisingly, I am good at it! Several youtube DIY's. Although my salon just opened, I am not going anytime soon even if my stylist has an opening. I am waiting until I feel its safe imo. Stay Safe!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily you are braver than I! I would imagine cutting the back of your hair is difficult. I'm not sure how easy haircutting is, people do go to school and obtain a license.

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy your new cut. Good job. You are braver than I am. Daughter is licensed, but not a practicing,  cosmetologist. I cut my hair once and did a lousey job. She cleaned it up for me and reminded me in March -- do not pick up the sissors. I'm missing my layers and my hair is flatter than normal. Son told me he likes it better. I did use Clairol light brown root color and was amazed how well this covered and blended. Thrilled about that.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is so awesome! I have only had the nerve to trim on my bangs and the sides. I think I did an ok job, it probably doesn't look like a professional did it, but its better than it was and I'm happy with it.

Hopefully, in a few weeks I can get a professional cut.

Contributor

I cut my own bangs.  Now I look like Captain Kangaroo.

Valued Contributor

@Sherox wrote:

I cut my own bangs.  Now I look like Captain Kangaroo.

@SheroxLOL!!!!  Smiley HappyHeart