Respected Contributor

I did it! I cut my own hair today

My hair had been cut into a medium length bob in winter and had grown to almost shoulder length in 4 months. The stylist I had in winter was new and didn't cut it the way I asked with some layering and more angled toward the front. So today, I used the new scissors, comb, & clips I had ordered and cut it myself. It took me close to 2 hours, I made 11 sections, tried blending the layers, and had a plan before I started. I now have the shorter, layered, angled bob I had wanted. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I have a lot of natural wave in my hair that can hide mistakes. And, it works just fine for me during these unusual times.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I did it! I cut my own hair today

How wonderful! I cut mine a few weeks back, is it professional no but I did ok also. Hey we gotta do what we gotta do. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

How lovely is that dear, I am certain now that you feel much better!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

@godi  I agree. I guess we have to tap into the talents we didn't know we had.

Respected Contributor

@Dinaki  You're right, I do feel much better. Our weather reached 109 this week, and long hair was just too hot. I also have some sense of control by knowing that I can cut my own hair if I need to.

Honored Contributor

I am definatley not as brave as you are

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Good for you. I've done mine for years. It seems the few times I would go to a stylist, I hated the do and decided I could do better myself. I also cut DH's hair and did my children's back in the day.. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily Congrats!  Please watch Justin Hickox's video I posted so next time you say it and  get the exact meaning across.

Respected Contributor

Hi @ECBG  , that video is 45 minutes long, but I watched most of it. I went to my regular salon the last time in winter only to find out the new stylist was taking over my stylist's appointments because the other stylist had left. I had a picture on my phone, explained how I wanted the layers, told her how my hair curls, and asked questions while she cut. Maybe some people (in every career) listen but don't hear. Hair grows out again ... and now I'm not afraid to cut my own anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I was given a younger stylist even though I had gone there quite a few years (mine moved).  I was unhappy since she didn't maintain my layered cut, even though I told her it was layered.  Did I have to say "YOU do that too"?.  All she did was too many high lights.  Now I have that!  Grrrrr......

I'm changing salons.