Super Contributor

Re: I cut my own hair yesterday

I will be putting scissors to my bangs in another week or so LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

Cut my poodle hair and did her nails today.  Tomorrow bath.  My hair due in six days for cut and color, but it will not happen.  My HD called yesterday for a reschedule may 7, fingers crossed.

Mullet may come back in style.  I can cut sides, bangs, top, but not back.  I will trim and color, and wear wigs if I do a bad job.

I even took off false nails, because they said virus can live under them. Keep nails short.

I am actually feeling free off all the rituals we ladies to through.  I still do beauty treatments for face, but no make up.

Just got Mally,s shadow sticks and her liner shortly before this virus

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

When I had side bangs I would trim them between visits.  I'm sure my stylist knew, but she never said anything.  I did use hair scissors and only trimmed enough to keep them from straying into my brows. I don't know how these celebrities wear their bangs down into their eyes where I can see them move every time they blink.  That would drive me absolutely crazy.

@San Antonio Gal I would not touch that beautiful cut if I were you.  While you think it's a simple cut, it's more complicated than just cutting straight across.  You said there's layers which makes it even more complicated.  

@Icegoddess  - I took your advice and decided not to attempt to trim.  I'm putting it up with a clip and will just wait until things get back to normal.  Can you imagine how busy our stylists will be once all this is over? 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

When I had side bangs I would trim them between visits.  I'm sure my stylist knew, but she never said anything.  I did use hair scissors and only trimmed enough to keep them from straying into my brows. I don't know how these celebrities wear their bangs down into their eyes where I can see them move every time they blink.  That would drive me absolutely crazy.

@San Antonio Gal I would not touch that beautiful cut if I were you.  While you think it's a simple cut, it's more complicated than just cutting straight across.  You said there's layers which makes it even more complicated.  

@Icegoddess  - I took your advice and decided not to attempt to trim.  I'm putting it up with a clip and will just wait until things get back to normal.  Can you imagine how busy our stylists will be once all this is over? 

@San Antonio Gal My hairdresser was on the news last night doing a little clip about how her and her partners were looking at options to pay the bills.  They shut down a couple of days befoe the Governor ordered those types of businesses that require close contact to close. She and her partners also own a Redken school, so that's a double whammy for them.  

Originally my appointment was past the the closures, but now that they have moved it to the end of April who knows when I'll get in for a trim.  But, not like I'm getting out in public anyways.  Plus, it'll be easier to put up on top of my head for yard work.  She always groans when I say I need it long enough to put up because she doesn't like me doing it I guess because my hair is fragile since I both color and perm.  

I have also already had my dental appointment changed 3 times now.  The first time was because I had a cold so didn't want t expose them, but the other 2 have been because of the moving closure dates.  I told her pretty soon it'll be tme for my next 6 mo. appointment.  

Respected Contributor

The only difference in a good haircut and a bad one is about 4 to 6 weeks when it can grow back out.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm definitely not coloring or cutting my own hair. I can't see the back of my head and would never get the angle correct. Even with 10 angled mirrors, I'm not trying that. I'm having my stylist come to my house, and we will both wear masks and gloves and she can color me outside. 

Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I looked at my hair in the mirror before I took my shower. It just had lost it's shape and wisps were going in many directions.

Si I figured I was cutting off some of the wisps so at least they weren't flying all over the place. So I trimmed about 1/2 of an inch. I did not master the art of using a mirror to help cutting my hair. But I did trim a bit on the sides.

So I figure I will try to trim some hair from the back of my head. WELL! My first cut, I cut the hair and then saw that I cut about 2 " off. That was the end of my attempt to cut my own hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo  et al this is a timely post.  I was due for a cut and color two weeks ago.  My hair is short with bangs.  I can't stand the wings that are now behind ears lol.  I went to Costco today and saw that they had a hair cutting kit.  I bought it but I am not sure I am brave enough to use it.  I plan to check out the youtube videos.

If anyone has a good one for short hair for women, I would love to see it.

Those who have done this are inspiring me!  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Effie54 wrote:

I'm definitely not coloring or cutting my own hair. I can't see the back of my head and would never get the angle correct. Even with 10 angled mirrors, I'm not trying that. I'm having my stylist come to my house, and we will both wear masks and gloves and she can color me outside. 

So this is what people are really doing....I don't have anyway to contact my stylist and not sure she would even consider doing it.  BUT I am thinking all these ladies on TV....not one of them are showing any gray roots....in fact their hair looks perfect!  Like they just had it done that day.  Whether I am watching cable news channels to local and all others on TV I notice they look perfect.  So the hair stylist are still coming in close contact for them.

Respected Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo wrote:

I let DH cut my hair a few days ago.  Short layered pixie, all you gotta do is comb up sections and snip the ends off.  He did a good job, and it looks fine, my regular hairdresser may be seeing me less often once we are free to venture out again.

WOW that's awesome your hubby did that for you and he is good at it! LOL