Honored Contributor

Re: I cut my own hair yesterday

At 11 am this morning ... I would have had my regular trim.  I have pixie and it's starting to morph into a shag.  

If my style were longer, I'd attempt to trim myself ... but with a short (precise) style, there's no room for error.

Honored Contributor

I always cut my bangs. I don't know if it will work for everyone but years ago I was told how to do it for the way I wear mine which is choppy and uneven, a little longer at the outside.  Wet works best but I've done it with dry hair when in a hurry.  I gather and twist them.  Then cut off the amt I want.  Has anyone else cut their bangs like this?

Honored Contributor

@monicakm -

I'll try that! Do you make a part somewhere first?

You know how hairdressers always

ask which way we part our hair?

I've always wondered if I should cut after parting or just cut from the middle with a balanced in the middle part, even though we might part to the side. 

You know what I mean?

(I can't seem to undo this italisized!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I part my hair just off center to the left and no, I don't make a part before trimming my bangs.  I love the way my hairdresser cuts my hair but not when it comes to my bangs.  I don't think she understands "choppy and uneven" Smiley Surprised  So when I went the last time I told her she didn't need to cut them, I'll do it.  The way she cuts my hair, it grows out realllly nice.  I can go longer than usual if I need to between cuts. 

Honored Contributor

If you don't work outside the home, are you finding it hard to stay home?  Looking for ideas to stay busy?  Seems like everyone is talking about how to keep themselves occupied during this time of SIP.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I've been retired almost 10 years and belong to two groups that meet bi-weekly Tuesday afternoon and Friday afternoon, and for the last few months have been going to physical therapy (I fell in November and did a number on my back) every Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  I have a standing appt every Wednesday noon, and a standing lunch every other Friday at 1:00 pm.

Not at all difficult to stay home ... as a matter of fact - I'm getting things done that I've put off for the longest time.  

Been cleaning, reorganizing, cooking, knitting, crocheting, reading, napping ... I enjoy having the free time to do all these things.  

----------------------------------------------------

@monicakm wrote:

If you don't work outside the home, are you finding it hard to stay home?  Looking for ideas to stay busy?  Seems like everyone is talking about how to keep themselves occupied during this time of SIP.  

Contributor

My hair was way overdue for a cut when things started closing down.  For now, I'm just washing it, letting it air dry, and sticking it in a ponytail or in a banana clip.  I don't have bangs, so I'm just letting it be for now.  If my hair isn't hanging in my face, I don't even think about it.  When this pandemic is gone, the hairdressers and barbers will be unbelievably busy!

Respected Contributor

I was also overdue for a haircut before this all hit, I hadn't been since November, but I usually only go every 4-6 months anyway. I also cut my bangs in between regular haircuts to keep them out of my eyes. I have long layers and after I first get it cut, for a month or two, I will style it and leave it down. When it gets too long to look nice I pull the top and sides up into a banana clip at work so that it doesn't get in my face. At home I just leave it down. 

I'm still working so my schedule hasn't changed yet, but hubby and kids have been home for 2 weeks already and have at least 2 more to go and they are definitely starting to get bored. I've asked them to help do a couple of small chores around the house for me so I do't have to do them, but nothing major.

I just don't have any motivation to clean, declutter, organize, etc the last couple of weeks. Between all the stress wt work and having everyone home under foot, I just don't care. Maybe if we start to get some warmer weather here I will get more motivation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have cut mine myself for years too, because I have difficult hair that no one cuts right.  
If you stay with a basic style, it's not brain surgery!  admittedly, Layers are hard to do evenly on both sides, so do it at the top of your head, with all the hair gathered. The toughest thing would be the length in the back, if it's short, and there's no one to help... In that case, let it grow until you can cut the length in the front-  HTH. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a pixie haircut...worn it like this for years.  Never will I ever take scissors to my hair, doing so would be inviting a disaster. I'm going to bear with it, maybe I'll get creative with it, but I will not cut it.

Yesterday, the hubs asked me if I would trim his hair. Smiley Surprised  I told him I've always wondered what he would look like with a ponytail, I'm looking forward to finding out!