Honored Contributor

Re: I cut my own hair yesterday

@tototwo  - My salon is closed, of course, and I've never cut my own hair before.  My hair is an "easy" style - bob with long layers.  This is a picture about 6 weeks ago and I'm ready for a trim now.   I just don't know how I can do the back and I'm afraid to get hubby to do it.  I know I can wait and just put it in a ponytail, but your post got me thinking about trying to cut it myself!  Smiley Happy

Joanne hair March 25.jpg

Respected Contributor

Lots of great youtube videos on how to cut your own hair. DH cuts mine and does a dandy job. I always tell him he missed his true calling as a hairdresser.....Mr. DH (and he trims the pups too. What a guy!)

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal -

My neighbor who used to cut hair said that if you put your hair in a ponytail, turn your head upside down,

then cut the ponytail from the end of course, that works.

I have tried it and it does. I don't know how or why or what happens exactly. Maybe someone else can explain it like which part ends up longer or layered or what?

I get a headache just trying to figure it out.

I just experiment and my hair is kind of like yours. I like to cut different lengths in the front and sides a little so it doesn't just look like a box, or a little dutch boyWoman LOL

It always comes out pretty good if I do say so myself!Woman LOL

And you can always fix mistakes. I just take it slow and never cut off a lot at a time but look and see how it looks after every cut.

It's fun to experiment.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo  - Hubs cut my grandchild's hair yesterday - which I didn't realize he was doing so.  Yes, just as I thought, his hair now has that dreaded bowl look.  I wish he would have waited. 

Honored Contributor

When I had side bangs I would trim them between visits.  I'm sure my stylist knew, but she never said anything.  I did use hair scissors and only trimmed enough to keep them from straying into my brows. I don't know how these celebrities wear their bangs down into their eyes where I can see them move every time they blink.  That would drive me absolutely crazy.

@San Antonio Gal I would not touch that beautiful cut if I were you.  While you think it's a simple cut, it's more complicated than just cutting straight across.  You said there's layers which makes it even more complicated.  

Honored Contributor

Good advice @on the bay .  Thanks.  I may try it.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal -

Initially I also looked at several videos of people cutting their own hair. They were all different and some more simple then others.

I never found one that I really liked or felt was clear 

esp. when looking at the finished shot!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Right now is a good time to step out of our boxes and try new things.  I have been doing that in the kitchen with pantry and freezer now I suppose the vanity table may have to be shaken up a bit too.  Who knows we may find we like something better after it being forced on us to find it.  @San Antonio Gal your hair is lovely and I am sure longer or shorter it always will be.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

LOL!!!  I did to.  I am mentally preparing my husband to trim the back.  He is nervous. . . 

Honored Contributor

Thank Goodness I do not have to worry about my hair... just long and silver.. trim the ends myself.