Esteemed Contributor

Re: I can't believe I bought something very inexpensive that is actually working

On 1/20/2014 racerrn said:

Thanks for the info! Can this be used on the face? I have a dark area on my left cheek and I can't find anything that works to fade it.

Nadinola has been around for decades (more than 50 years). Years ago before most of the brands of prestige fade creams were on the market this type of product could only be found at the drugstore or by prescription. It is perfectly safe for the face. Nadinola was always a favorite among black women who are often predisposed to hyperpigmentation.

Nadinola has a few different formulas (unless you live in an urban area you may have to search online to find them). There's the Extra Strength (3% hydroquinoine) for all skins; Deluxe for oily skin (their lightest textured formula and the one I used); Ultra (similar in texture to the Deluxe) for normal; and Hydroquinoine-Free versions for normal, dry skin, oily, or sensitive skin.

Honored Contributor

Re: I can't believe I bought something very inexpensive that is actually working

For those who can't use Nadinola, there's an option:

Pond's Clarant B3 Dark Spot Correcting Cream
Formulated with a complex of Vitamins B3 and C, this daily moisturizer fights discoloration to visibly diminish dark spots in 4 weeks, so skin looks more even toned and radiant.

Essential Features
  • Ideal for normal to dry skin (there's also a normal to oily cream available)
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Won't clog pores
Key Ingredients

Vitamin B3 - Known to reduce skin discolorations and redness.
Vitamin C - Known for its antioxidant rejuvenation properties.
Water, Niacinamide, Stearic Acid, Isopropyl Myristate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Sodium PCA, Glutamic Acid, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate
I know parabens and mineral oil get a bad rap around here, but this is the only cream I can put on my face that won't make me too greasy or break me out. CHEAP and EFFECTIVE. And it smells pretty good.
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

On 1/21/2014 rebel said:

glad it is working for you.

it did not work on my face. and it does have it's own smell.

it is great when we can save money though.

Same here. It didn't work on my face. I have had better results using a consistent vitamin c and retinol routine.

Mochahoney - so glad to hear it is working well for. It is always great when we can save money.

Trusted Contributor

I gave Nadolina a try for a solid 4 months, day and night. Didn't do a thing for me.

Super Contributor

Why "can't you believe it????" It is just another testament that you do NOT need to spend a lot of money to get results. People who think you do, are grossly mistaken.

Super Contributor

On 1/21/2014 turtle52 said:

I think that the title of your thread says it all. We are told that the more expensive an item is the better that it is but THIS IS NOT TRUE with most products. We are enticed by the advertising, the pretty packaging and all the hype.

I buy A LOT of beauty products and try to be an educated consumer. I use beautypedia dot com to research "best products" and I always start with the most inexpensive product in the category. I have found some great products this way and I have cut my beauty costs.

This is such an excellent and common-sense approach! (And maybe it seems so obvious to others, but I personally find the plethora of beauty products--especially skin care products--to be totally overwhelming.)

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/21/2014 ForTheLuv said:

Why "can't you believe it????" It is just another testament that you do NOT need to spend a lot of money to get results. People who think you do, are grossly mistaken.

well ForTheLuv, I meant that I am pretty impressed that a $6 product would work in the same way as something with similar ingredients that is being sold for over $60. I also meant ( but implied rather than stated) that it made me wonder about other products that I have used for years. I don't buy extremely expensive skincare products ( although extremely expensive is a relative term). the products I use are fairly expensive for me ,but I manage to find ways to afford them. this has just made me a bit more aware .

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich