Honored Contributor

Re: I am thinking about not coloring my hair any more

@Puppy Lips I tried that for a while and it looked horrible, color was never the same and never even.

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Why don't you color it yourself?  I have only just started to do this.  Then I will do a root cover up for awhile.  Then I will go to the solon maybe once a year or so to be sure it is all covered and get some high lights.  Not sure how other woman handle/color their hair and I would be interested to know.  But I too would be tired of going every month and spending the time and money on your hair.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I do not want to cut it, I want to bleach out the color that is roots to ends, which has been dyed for 20+ years

@Drythe wrote:

@I am still oxox

My SIL started seeing grey at 18, and as long as I’ve known her, she’s dyed her hair a dark, flat, one toned, straight, black.  Drove me crazy because she is lovely, and it was SO unflattering.

A few few months ago she decided to let it go natural.  Her stylist did an excellent job, lifting most of the color, adding in some light brown low- lites, which eventually grew out without noticeable transition.

This past Friday I saw for the first time the finished product.  Beautiful, silver hair, AND she has lovely waves.  So much more flattering then the color, which she always pulled straight back into a clip.  I honestly did not recognize her.

So, my point is, try it, you can always go back to coloring if you don’t like the ultimate results.

Best Wishes!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

I'm 75 and have been coloring my hair forever and I'm sure I will continue to do so!  I use to do it myself, then my hushand did it for a time but now I go to the salon because I think it seems to last a little longer and I wanted a few-lites.  Medium brown with a little blonde.  I think it"s totally up to you to do whatever you want.  If you are happy about how you look when it grows out then keep it that way.  You can ask for advice but it's ultimately what you like and if it makes you feel good about yourself.  That's all that matters.  Be happy with what you decide to do!

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@I am still oxox.  I quit coloring my hair when I retired.  Best decision I ever made.

@Kachina624@I am still oxox.   Same here. Best decision also.

I quit 11 years ago and love my white hair. It was so nice when traveling for work to no longer stress over roots when I had longer assignments. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

Thank you I would have my hair dresser do it for me, not something I would ever mess with 

@chrystaltree wrote:

https://bellatory.com/hair/How-to-Remove-Hair-Dye-with-Baking-Soda-Vitamin-C-and-Vinegar

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

I get my hair colored every three- fours weeks its is pricey and time consuming. I do not want to wait for it to grow out.

Do stylists bleach color out of hair to get it back to a natural color, I can tell from my roots that it would be a beautiful salt and pepper.

Am I crazy

thanks all

@I am still oxox, no you are not crazy Woman Happy.

This was exact problem I used to have too - coloring was pricey and time consuming, but worst of all - it stopped producing good results! It really came to a point that color would not hold well in my hair. Gray was winning.

As I had more and more of gray, it became almost color-resistant. Regardless if I had color done professionally, or did it myself - it washed out quickly and gray was coming back from underneath washed out chemical color!

Besides, the color did not look good at all any longer....  Trying to work with my gray by doing blond highlights/lowlights.... would not do the trick any longer - my hair looked washed out and OLD. 

So I gave up.  Just let it go "natural" for about four years. I can't say it was bad, but it was not that great either.

I did not like that "natural look" all that much, but knew for sure - I will NEVER do chemical color ever again!

Because coloring became useless, pricey and did not "improve" my hair much.

Until the day I came across this modern-day Henna colors. Not your mama's old henna!

Pure and natural organic Henna products in variety of modern beautiful colors. Made in the USA. Very inexpensive.

Easy to mix, easy application. Company offers two brushes for $5, which makes all the difference applying Henna mixture.

This natural color product completely covers all my gray and stays this way! Color does not wash out at all, gray does not come back!

Except for the roots of course.

Initially I colored with "Light Brown".  On my gray hair I got a beautiful vivid Copper Red color result. Really pretty - got tons of compliments!

Lately, I went for "Medium Brown" and have just this amazing brown with a hint of copper highlights, I dreamed of all my life!

A lot of people do not believe this is not my natural color. It looks so good, natural, shiny and healthy. I look like 15 years younger, according to my mirror and the compliments I get. 

With my latest hair color, I want to use makeup more often now, because my hair has such attractive natural bright color!

If anyone would like to look what colors are available, you can look on line - "henna color lab dot com" (all together - no spaces).

For me personally this question - "should I continue to color or go natural", does not exist any longer - I will color!

With great pleasure, easily by myself, in convenience of my own home, and only for $5 full head color!

Package price is only $9.99. One package of 100 grams is good for two full head colorings for me personally.

I will only use organic, natural, modern-day Henna for my hair, because it gives me great natural-looking vivid color and also adds to my hair health, conditioning and shine!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

If your hair is colored now, I know a hairstylist can strip color from your hair.  I'm not sure if this is what they would do in this situation and I know from experience that is very, very hard on the hair and very damaging.

Everyone I know that decided to go gray just quit coloring their hair and let their hair grow out to gray naturally. 

Super Contributor

google the danger of lymphomas using certain (salon) hair dye products. scary! 

let your hair grow out, keep it cut short as you can live with and you will be happy with final results. and, healthier!

good luck!! 

Trusted Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Grey hair? Not everyone can get away with wearing grey hair. Depends on your skin coloring & the color of grey you hair is. Not a fan of grey hair.

I'm not a fan either.  I doubt I would be receiving compliments!