Reply
Contributor
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

i agree variation please...

Super Contributor
Posts: 293
Registered: ‎08-16-2012

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

On 4/6/2015 annabellethecat said:

Their target audience is probably some stay at home moms, but I would venture, based on the voices and what the callers say, it is targeting women who have recently retired and have already retired.

Haven't you noticed the clothes are casual? So.....a lot of people who are in their 60's and 70's don't like shopping from the computer, some can't get out to shop but want to look good, some don't even have a computer.

As long as these people (I'm 68 but I have all of the latest junk and love using it, I do like TV though) are like I mentioned, there will be a place for programming like QVC and HSN.

I think the target audience is more retirees and beyond, rather than stay at home moms. As you mentioned, a lot of the callers are older, and they even have shows around holiday time called "Gifts for Grandkids." They also sell some products aimed at older viewers with mobility problems. All of that tells you something. Also, that age group is the one more likely to have "disposable income," so it's understandable that QVC would target them. However, I am not anywhere close to retirement age, and I love QVC. I think that says something great about them--how far they can reach.

Their convenience is their biggest asset, I think. Shopping without leaving home! I'm ok with their current programming, only because I like a lot of what's offered. However, it is tiring seeing the same brands/products getting TSVs throughout the year, most of which you all have mentioned (Dyson, Clarisonic, Dell, Susan Graver, etc.). I watch the Q mostly for beauty and fashion. My mom for fashion and jewelry. Offering much too much can be just as bad as not offering enough. Pushing a small group of brands builds brand loyalty, too. As some of you have said, they wouldn't be continually pushing some of the same brands if they weren't selling. They seem to be in the middle of a "makeover," in terms of image (website, graphics, etc.), so maybe new brands and products won't be far behind.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 116
Registered: ‎05-12-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

I have to agree with the OP. They have featured IT endless times over the past couple of months. I love beauty presentations, but, grow tired of seeing the same old products being presented so many times.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,083
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

On 4/7/2015 Msgdfx said:

I have to agree with the OP. They have featured IT endless times over the past couple of months. I love beauty presentations, but, grow tired of seeing the same old products being presented so many times.

I'm glad you mentioned IT. Has that become their own house brand? They seem to have IT on an awful lot lately.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 206
Registered: ‎07-09-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

On 4/7/2015 pilgrimsoul said:

I have wondered for a long time if the Q has some people (like Dyson or Vitamix) that pay them to sell their products, like a prolonged infomercial. Maybe their business plan includes this type of selling, not just like we traditionally think of home shopping channels. Just a thought.

I've also thought about this. Vendors pay to be live on air....the more they pay, the more times they're on, mostly the high end products.

Have you noticed how many TSV's are in the $100+ price range? A lot!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,626
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

The repetition is legion and it's not just beauty... It's grown very stale and unwatchable.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor
Posts: 527
Registered: ‎08-08-2011

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

It isn't just the same handful of product lines over and over, they spend too much time on one product! It's not unusual to see the TSV selling for a half an hour at a time, if not more. I can remember when you used to see 15-20 products in an hour. No more. Just a handful, unless it's a jewelry show. I don't watch much anymore due to this reason. I'll catch an occasional jewelry show (the few they have on) or gardening show and if a beauty item is the TSV just to get info on it. But that's about it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,626
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

On 4/7/2015 Hibi said:

It isn't just the same handful of product lines over and over, they spend too much time on one product! It's not unusual to see the TSV selling for a half an hour at a time, if not more. I can remember when you used to see 15-20 products in an hour. No more. Just a handful, unless it's a jewelry show. I don't watch much anymore due to this reason. I'll catch an occasional jewelry show (the few they have on) or gardening show and if a beauty item is the TSV just to get info on it. But that's about it.

Also true. The presentations for items they're pushing are endless and too frequent... Their narrow branding might be working for them, then again it might not be, but either way, it isn't working for many of us who used to enjoy watching.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,347
Registered: ‎07-25-2010

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

I hope you're not grinding your teeth about it.

Super Contributor
Posts: 527
Registered: ‎08-08-2011

Re: I am so tired of QVC grinding brands into the ground i.e.-Philosophy, IT, ect. more variety please!

On 4/7/2015 stevieb said:
On 4/7/2015 Hibi said:

It isn't just the same handful of product lines over and over, they spend too much time on one product! It's not unusual to see the TSV selling for a half an hour at a time, if not more. I can remember when you used to see 15-20 products in an hour. No more. Just a handful, unless it's a jewelry show. I don't watch much anymore due to this reason. I'll catch an occasional jewelry show (the few they have on) or gardening show and if a beauty item is the TSV just to get info on it. But that's about it.

Also true. The presentations for items they're pushing are endless and too frequent... Their narrow branding might be working for them, then again it might not be, but either way, it isn't working for many of us who used to enjoy watching.


It's no wonder many of the hosts resort to hard sell tactics as they are stuck talking about one product for a lengthy amount of time!