Super Contributor

Re: I am considering a facelift

On 3/2/2015 morning glory said:

Do not do it. Do not take away your character lines. Who wants to look younger looking? Not me. It's okay to look older. There is beauty in an older woman's face. Plastic surgery never looks normal. It is what it is. Plastic says it all. I don't want to look plastic or have a face that doesn't move or eyes that look fake. Spend the money on something worth it. Buy yourself a new addition to the house or a new car or a diamond ring or a condo in Florida or do something for your grandkids to make it easier for them to go to college. And please do not get those fat lips.

Okay, so don't get plastic surgery. Thank you for letting us know what YOU would or would not do, but this is about the OP. Why are so many of you trying to impose YOUR feelings and thoughts on someone else who obviously feels differently?

Valued Contributor

I've had this twice and my best friend, too. Two things to be aware of: very long surgery and long recovery. I would do it again except for these factors. Good luck, Smiley Happy)
Esteemed Contributor

Whatever makes you happy, give it a go! Never had even a procedure done, but I would like to.

Super Contributor

I haven't read all the responses but here's what I think: if you want it and can afford it, go for it! It sounds like you've certainly earned it. I would love to do the same and, like you, I feel I've earned it too. Cash flow is what's holding me back; otherwise I'd lay myself down on the operating table in NO time!

Respected Contributor

No, I have never had a facelift. I like my face as I've aged. I have always wondered if women realize when they tighten their face, other things hint at their age...their carriage, their hands etc. I don't understand why anyone would risk their life with elective anesthesia. Beauty isn't about a tight face for me. It's about a nice smile and a nice demeanor. When I see an older woman by the time we are in our 60's, usually her life is etched on her face. If we spent most of our life scowling, it shows in our expressions. But to each their own...for myself I like character in a person's face which I think is lost with a face lift.
Valued Contributor

You go girl, come back afterwards, and let us know how it went. I had a face lift 8 years ago and never regretted it. Be sure to do plenty of homework and know that someone will need to be with you for several days. My husband was a real trooper.

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Just know it's serious surgery and not without risks! I remember reading about all the complications Kathy Levine had and it wasn't pretty. So yes, doing your homework and finding the most qualified surgeon is no guarantee you won't have problems.

Hi RCG,

Please tell us what happened with MS Levine? I wonder sense she knew Joan Rivers if she used the same doctor as Joan?

Thanks, if you happen to see this and would respond.

Cathy

Honored Contributor

I had lower eyelid surgery in my late forties because of hypothyroidism which caused huge bags under my eyes. They were so big people kept saying things about them. When I finally had it done I couldn't believe the difference they made and others remarked about it (it was obvious I had it done). Those bags never came back and I still don't have them at 77. There is no scarring with lower eyelid surgery either because the scar is on the inside of the lower lid. I have never regretted it.

I considered a minimal facelift when I retired at 66 because of "turkey neck," which I hated. But before I could do that, I came down with RA, and was no longer a viable candidate for any kind of surgery, let alone elective surgery. Fortunately I have aged well because I never smoked, never laid out in the sun, and because of my RA and soon to come chronic back pain, have not slept in any position but on my back for years. Sleeping on one's stomach or on one's side can cause folds in one's face that never happen from sleeping on one's back.

I do have jowls, but I really don't care anymore, I am now beyond the age where things like that matter. I would give up almost anything to have my health and vitality back.

However, as far as the OP is concerned, the advice given here is all I would give as well. I see nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery if you take precautions, and everything that has been said here is all good.

The remarks about starving people and all of that are simply out of line. Does that mean that someone who does not have cosmetic surgery is in some way helping the poor? Unless one is out there handing out cash, I don't get the connection.

Good luck, OP. I hope all goes well. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I had multiple plastic surgeries after a large weight loss...I worked out religiously and followed a good diet, tried supplements etc...nothing worked. I went for the surgery and never regretted it; it is your body, your choice and if it makes you feel good go for it! But, all plastic surgeons are not equal and everyone will try to discourage you and say it is "unnecessary surgery". If your image of yourself is bad and you can improve it,then, it may be necessary for you. People are judgmental; don't listen and follow your heart. Do your research and find the best; I had a great plastic surgeon with a celebrity clientele but he stated he liked doing non celebrities...he loved making women more beautiful and seeing them so happy...he was very special. You have to like your plastic surgeon but he must be the best in your area....don't go for price....my surgeon let me speak to his patients, see results in person...and spent a lot of time with me...I am a nurse and I don't take surgery lightly...the plastic surgery ambulatory care facilities have excellent anesthesiologists and prominent plastic surgeons usually have their own anesthesiologists and staff...and, quite frankly cleaner than hospitals and the staff very experienced with plastic surgery. Good luck! I am sure you will reach the decision which is best for you...stay away from fillers, Botox etc...once you start them, you have maintenance and the chemicals are not that great for you...being a survivor, I would not risk using them and they are temporary. In the long run, a face lift is probably safer for you in view of your history. You earned it! I am now contemplating a facelift myself and not a bit hesitant based on my past experiences.
Contributor

I thought this is what QVC is for!! They sell TONS of ANTI-AGING products right?? They claim they work right? Please tell me we all are just wasting our money here???