Honored Contributor

Re: I Wish I'd Known Philosophy's Fresh Cream Smells Like Vanilla

WHOA.... I almost ordered it thinking it was a clean, fresh scent. NEVER did she say vanilla. I would be REALLY ticked off had I opened it and found that out.

Why didn't she just say vanilla scented?! This is why I rarely buy scented items from QVC or HSN... you have to smell it in person. Still, vanilla is vanilla. You can't hide that scent.

Super Contributor

To me it smells very similar to the old toasting marshmallow scent. FIL is completely different I think.

Honored Contributor

It smells like powdered milk to me. And that is NOT a good thing. It smells milky, artificial and STRONG. I simply threw it away. I couldn't stand it.

Valued Contributor

The videos show Lisa, Jill and the dark haired Philosophy Rep all using the word vanilla, hint of vanilla or vanilla like. Plus the online reviews by many of the buyers also describe FC with the word vanilla.

Just watched another video of the duo of body polishing scrubs and before the 24 second mark Jaque also used vanilla.

Honored Contributor

Fresh Cream rocked my world long before Lisa ever mentioned it. The presenters and reviewers do mention vanilla, but to me it smells like the name.
Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2014 Scorpios said:

To me the Fresh Cream smells exactly like Jiffy Marshmallow; the kind in the jar that you make fluffer nutters with. That's my interpretation- marshmallow. I didn't care for the overly sweet smell either; I smelled it in a store.

Exactly my impression. It came with my Clarisonic. I didn't care for it and used as a bubble bath, Village Naturals are much more satisfactory.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Trusted Contributor

Fresh Cream is an odd name for a personal fragrance. Just the idea of your BOD smelling like cream is nasty. Eeeeooo. All I can think of is my grampa milkin cows early in the morning and the pails of milk steaming in the cold barn. I don't want that scent on me.
Honored Contributor

Luv your description is interesting. I think I like it. Perhaps you could get a job describing the Philosophy cologne.

The bottom line is that I shouldn't have ordered it. Some people said it was mentioned. I guess I just missed those shows. They didn't mention it every time. A person can't be expected to just catch certain shows.

In my opinion, it should have been mentioned each time. Vanilla, I think, is a scent that either you like it or you don't. Again, thought, it is very subjective.

I use Amazing Grace, Summer Grace and Field of Flowers (the soap) and like them. I used to get compliments constantly with Amazing Grace, then I think they watered it down (or something).

I have something wrong with me where I can't smell or taste much (sometimes tiny amounts). All I did was open the tube of this Fresh Cream and take a tiny dab (in case I didn't like it) and I put it on my arm!

Good grief! The vanilla smell was pungent. At least for me. I had to go running out of the house (late for an appt) and I could smell that stuff the entire time I was out. I couldn't wait to get it off. It's just my opinion.

Contributor

I too watched her go on and on about this fragrance, so I went to Ulta to sniff and OMG, it created a headache almost immediately. I thought to myself, she said she isn't bashful about telling others their fragrance is too much, what the heck, this stuff made me feel claustrophobic like I couldn't breathe. So glad I didn't order this based off her recommendation.

I am a Tova and Amazing Grace fan.

Occasional Contributor

I reviewed it as having the smell of stale cake. I was expecting something softer - love that description about the marshmallows - it's great imagery and pretty exact. It does not smell of either vanilla or cream so the name is puzzling to me and I suspect it's a ""marketing name"" with the same loose connections to reality like other Philosophy products. All manufacturers do this.