Trusted Contributor

@justashopper I switch between a few brands, I find they work better when I do that.  My favorite is the Obaji Nu-Cil but it's the most expensive.  I also use Revitalash (usually buy the double pack during Nordstrom Anniversary sale) and GrandeLash.  They definitely all help with length.  

I've also used NeuLash and RapidLash but didn't think they did anything.  I tried Careprost a few years ago and didn't like that either.  It also irritated my lash line.

What brand do you use?

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@justashopper I wish I had your courage!I don't go a single day without it.matter of fact,the last time I had surgery,I was told no eye makeup what's so ever!I freaked out,and wore it anyway!!!!!!!

@Luvsmyfam 

Honestly, I don't see why any woman having a surgery needs to wear mascara, but I am very curious.... what was the reason for them saying no eye makeup?

Respected Contributor

Re: I Quit Wearing Mascara

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   first,  eyes don't blink when under anesthesia.  tiny particles and makeup bacteria  could get in the eye and can't be blinked away .

2nd they give you a strong smelling and very drying liquid soap Hibiclens (used be called PhisoHEX) to wash with pre-surgery. to prevent infection,

for my surgeries i had to shower up the night before, wash face, hair body and wash all again the morning of. my last surgery i skipped the hair wash in the morning the soap is so harsh!

they paint brown disinfectant stuff (Betadine) on your body before cutting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love mascara! My lashes are pale so I like the way it enhances my eyes. I've never worn false eyelashes. 

I use a black brown mascara on top lashes only and dark brown eyeliner on top lid only. I use neutral eye shadows and a dark blonde brow color. I'm not a fan of heavy dark black eye makeup so my entire eye makeup routine is aimed at a more natural look. I definitely wear less makeup and use a lighter hand than when I was younger. I will be 60 this year. 

I'm retired so I don't wear makeup daily anymore, only when I go out somewhere. I've had plenty of surgeries and medical procedures and never wore makeup for any of them, especially if they took place at a hospital and I was under sedatives or anesthesia. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal   There is no age but I picture some women with tons of mascara (the Tammy Faye look), eye shadow for day wear.  If I have a dinner date out or some event, yes, I will wear mascara and possibly shadow but not overdone.  To me, women in their 70's with tons of makeup look foolish to me.  This is my opinion but I don't wear eye shadow and the whole makeup look for day wear.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

My mother did her makeup everyday, until she went into the hospital for the final time.  I thought she looked pretty.  She did not NOT look foolish NOR was she reminiscent of TFB.  

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

Hi @lkat 

OOhh...I have only ever used the Grande Lash.  But now that you mention it.  Switching up brands probably does make sense.  I am going to look for the Obaji Nu-Cil.  I have never even heard of that one!

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Tinkrbl44 

I think when having surgery, no make up, no nail polish rules etc, have to do with keeping the sanitary conditions.  If there are any complications, that may happen in the surgery, maybe being able to examine and see the skin for vital signs to whatever is happening are my other thoughts. Jewelry isn't allowed either.  

I know when I had surgery, they rolled me into the operating room, they put my hair up into a cap and took the hospital gown off me.  I was completely naked under a very heavy towel like sheet.  And as @CatsyCline (love your name btw) explained they used that brown antiseptic stuff.  I remember it stained me like self tanner.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@justashopper Good luck if you try the Obaji, I really like it.  I bought mine at skintruth dot com.  I've bought other products from them and have always been satisfied.  Be sure to check for a discount code, you can usually find one, at least for your first purchase.

Honored Contributor

@justashopper 

When I had my TKR in March, the handbook and 99% of you guys said NO makeup for surgery.  Nurse Julie (what a sweetheart) said "it would have been fine" (sigh).