Respected Contributor

I Never Thought I Would Say This...

But it's true....

I have replaced every category of prestige makeup  with a drugstore or comparable lower-priced Amazon or Target product and spend much less overall.

I'm so enjoying saving the money.  This goes for skincare and m/u tools. 

The only item I'm using up is a Too Faced 'Born This Way' foundation which I do like a lot.  I'm also enjoying a Boots #7 foundation, but when these run out I'm trying one which has been compared to VERY high-end by Wet & Wild.

Yay me, right?    haha

If you want specifics, let me know.  I primarily wanted to say these alternatives have become much better quality, riveling many prestige brands.  Most (not all) are cruelty free.  Working on it!

Honored Contributor

Re: I Never Thought I Would Say This...

I could never be accused of being a beauty snob but I'll never give up my Clinique and if I were a real beauty junkie I would buy nothing but Chanel.

I survived on drug store products when I had to because of finances but unless I go bankrupt, I'll keep buying the non-drugstore items.

Esteemed Contributor

Me too.........

I don't understand why people pay  extreamly high prices for those products  Especially Dr Perricone...............lol .......Yes,when I was younger I did try it and a few others but I got smart as I aged....................lol

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I could never be accused of being a beauty snob but I'll never give up my Clinique and if I were a real beauty junkie I would buy nothing but Chanel.

I survived on drug store products when I had to because of finances but unless I go bankrupt, I'll keep buying the non-drugstore items.

@software-

I totally GET that and respect your choice... really everyone's choices. This post is as non-judgemental as I am.

Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

When I was working and had more income I indulged in many high-end cosmetics and skincare. Then after retirement I had to look closer at my finances and was kind of forced into letting go of those expensive brands. In that journey I found many inexpensive brands that proved to be impressive and I have continued to look further at some of those brands and continue to be pleasantly surprised with many of them. 

The hardest part of finding a dupe for what I once used is the trial-and-error phase. This part can be expensive in the beginning but then it starts to save money in the long run.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@FunlovingHello SweetieHeart  I have spent so much money trying different products that I will just stick with what I like. I did find the brand Honest at Target and bought two lipsticks and some powder. But those weren't cheap. The powder was half-price $12.50, so I thought I would give it a try.

The lipsticks were $18.00 but got a $5.00 gift card with any $15.00 purchase of make-up or skincare. And I love the lipstick called "Honey".

Since I don't work I don't use as much make-up.

Also, I get the Sephora Play box and was getting the Allure one too. Which is fun because you get to try new products.

I have always liked the EOS lip products but didn't like the round ball. Now they make one that looks like a lipstick and vanilla..Yum. Also, one called "Crystal" but I'm not wild about that one.

And as you know, I love my Jane Iredale products.

I have had so much trouble finding a good color of foundation that once I used Make-Up Forever liquid foundation, I found the right color.

I have quit buying mascara because I love my Blinc. With my eye problems, this one is easy to take off.

Please let us know what you discover that you love. I like reading what others like.

Didn't know I was writing a bookWoman LOL

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was working and had more income I indulged in many high-end cosmetics and skincare. Then after retirement I had to look closer at my finances and was kind of forced into letting go of those expensive brands. In that journey I found many inexpensive brands that proved to be impressive and I have continued to look further at some of those brands and continue to be pleasantly surprised with many of them. 

The hardest part of finding a dupe for what I once used is the trial-and-error phase. This part can be expensive in the beginning but then it starts to save money in the long run.Woman Happy

So true, @SilleeMee-  The hunt, trial and error can be pricey.

I've lucked out quite a bit finding m/u and skincare in every category by following some of my fave youtubers.  I have a nice house which I was fortunate enough to pay cash for as a single woman when I was handling a ton of biz.  Well, I'm no longer single nor make that kind of $ and the storage here is almost non-existent.  It worked for me because of x-tra bedroom furniture and closets.  As a couple it's not practical,  so we've been living separately for 12 yrs.  Our priority is a new home now & becoming a little more frugal in other areas.  I don't feel I've made any real sacrifices and have found some excellent drugstore gems.  The caveat seems they get discontinued faster than prestige items & can be harder to find, depending on where you live- my perception anyway.  Love Milani for several prestige m/u replacements.  Their eye primer is the best I've ever used & I've used plenty.  It would be nuts to pay more.

Contributor

I would love to know what you changed to I've feel like I've tried it all, my face is still dry but oily,ugh! I've tried so many high end that I couldn't afford,that when I see drug store brands I think if it's cheaper it's not any good, that's got in my head from somewhere 

i want quit spending so much money thanks 

Esteemed Contributor

@Funloving, I'm doing the same. I love watching the beauty gurus on YouTube who test out both high-end as well as drug store products and finding high performance dupes at lower prices. I just hope the drug store prices don't start creeping up. L'oreal just came out with some single color shadows that go for $12.99. That's getting up there for a single color drug store shadow (imo). The good thing about drug store makeup is you can sometimes get a sale price like BOGO or buy one and get one 1/2 off. 

Sure, if I had all the money in the world I might not bother, or care, but I love beauty products and love buying them, So, if I can get good quality makeup and skin care at lower prices I'm all for it. So I second that... "Yay for you!" lol. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@FunlovingHello SweetieHeart  I have spent so much money trying different products that I will just stick with what I like. I did find the brand Honest at Target and bought two lipsticks and some powder. But those weren't cheap. The powder was half-price $12.50, so I thought I would give it a try.

The lipsticks were $18.00 but got a $5.00 gift card with any $15.00 purchase of make-up or skincare. And I love the lipstick called "Honey".

Since I don't work I don't use as much make-up.

Also, I get the Sephora Play box and was getting the Allure one too. Which is fun because you get to try new products.

I have always liked the EOS lip products but didn't like the round ball. Now they make one that looks like a lipstick and vanilla..Yum. Also, one called "Crystal" but I'm not wild about that one.

And as you know, I love my Jane Iredale products.

I have had so much trouble finding a good color of foundation that once I used Make-Up Forever liquid foundation, I found the right color.

I have quit buying mascara because I love my Blinc. With my eye problems, this one is easy to take off.

Please let us know what you discover that you love. I like reading what others like.

Didn't know I was writing a bookWoman LOL

@VenturaHighway- By your writing style you must be Sister Golden Hair! Heart   Boy, what an embarrassment if I'm wrong. LOL  YES!.. it has to be you.. Jane Iredale and Blink are dead give-aways... plus loving beauty boxes....  hahaha Smiley SurprisedSmiley Tongue

If I'm right, SO GOOD to see you, girlie!  If I'm wrong, my pleasure to meet you!  I look for deals, too.  I've never paid full retail on a clothing item in my life... with few exceptions.

And YOU know my weakness for shoes and boots!  ROFLMAO!!!  Smiley Very Happy