Honored Contributor

Re: I Looked Into My Car Mirror And Was Horrified!!

@LTT1 wrote:

@cuddlesmama @AuntG @SilleeMee 

I notice that even well-known actresses on tv have this problem....lighting.

I have one of those handheld 'blacklights' used to detect pet urine stains. One time I shined it on my face and got the surprise of a lifetime!! Woman Surprisedomg. That light is a UV light and you can see skin discolorations and some leftover makeup and stuff on your face. I wouldn't do this often...might not be a good thing. But just the few times I did use it on my face...it was shocking.Smiley Surprised  @LTT1 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@cuddlesmama @AuntG @SilleeMee 

I notice that even well-known actresses on tv have this problem....lighting.

I have one of those handheld 'blacklights' used to detect pet urine stains. One time I shined it on my face and got the surprise of a lifetime!! Woman Surprisedomg. That light is a UV light and you can see skin discolorations and some leftover makeup and stuff on your face. I wouldn't do this often...might not be a good thing. But just the few times I did use it on my face...it was shocking.Smiley Surprised  @LTT1 

yikes that's very "Law&Order" 

Respected Contributor

Outdoor lighting tells no lies! It's very harsh. But the worst lighting of all is in the bathroom at work. It's the cruelest lighting on earth. I can start off the day thinking I look good and when I go in that bathroom I look like I've been out all night drinking and doing drugs! Just horrible.  

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

I think they put those mirrors in office bathrooms to reduce the amount of time we are in there !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

I feel the same way about my 5x magnifying mirror. I can get so frustrated & depressed seeing all those imperfections. I can’t imagine how a 10x with light would make me look and feel. Not going there. I try to remember that people aren’t seeing “the magnified me”. 

My bathroom has no natural light. I use bulbs that are supposed to mimic daylight. Not sure how much that helps. 

@Grouchomarx 

You are so right about bathroom mirrors at work. Those are horrible! 

Esteemed Contributor

I've posted this before but it's worth repeating.....I use a VERILUX lamp on my vanity table.  It's the closest to natural lighting that I know of....for home use. Has 2 choices for intensity - not expensive - and goose neck for adjustment purposes

Bathroom lighting - I agree - harsh for applying makeup. 

Buy direct from their website.

Honored Contributor

It is the fluorescent mirrors that make you look so bad.  Our Kohl's used to have mirrors on the posts in the different departments.  I dreaded going in there.  A couple years later they removed the mirrors.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness I wear glasses I can't see that well in the mirror when I'm doing my lotions and potions otherwise I avoid the horror at all costs of really looking anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama      nothing topical will really get rid of sun/brown spots.... you need to go discuss this with a derm doctor and they can suggest what to do.  Why waste money on over the counter fixes that do not work. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@cuddlesmama      nothing topical will really get rid of sun/brown spots.... you need to go discuss this with a derm doctor and they can suggest what to do.  Why waste money on over the counter fixes that do not work. 

Exactly. Topicals only try and remove pigments on the surface, some better than others. But when you stop using the topical then the spots come back full force. The only way to stop them from reappearing is to destroy the thing that produces the spots( melanocytes). that is done by a professional with a laser. Retin-A will also stop the pigments from forming but that takes time and continuous use.